Innuos 2.0 Roon killer?

I was looking at Innous a year or so back when they where discussing innuOS 2.0.

It’s an option for me as it would play well with my Linn streamers. But 2.0 seemed well out then, so I signed up for Roon. I see InnuOS 2.0 hasn’t seen the light even a year later but I will continue to watch this. The UI design sketches certainly look gorgeous.

it’s probably one of those things where the UX was released as marketing before the dev work done on the software and it turned out to be more complex than they thought.

Fingers crossed it’s released soon but could easily be another year though.

I think they may also be developing their own system as are Taiko. They all seem to have added Roon because their customers wanted it but as they are all server/streamer architecture they all seem to be not so enamoured with SQ due to Roons heavy processing and are looking for alternatives. They all have balanced their architecture to get the best from their internal players and the hardware/software plays to those strengths.

It’s in beta right now. It does look nice and a great improvement over LMS which is what they use now. Going from users I know their support is very good and they support hardware for a good length of time. Gen 2 products will be on this platform as well as Gen 3. I think the Zen Mini and Innuos 2.0 make a very good turnkey proposition but only if they do support streaming to other platforms.

1 Like

Antipodes, at least in their new servers (K50), have a mode using Roon with a Squeezelite player, which they say sounds better than Roon with Roon’s own player. I’m told that the Antipodes Roon-Squeezelite mode is stable, unlike Innuos’ version.

Regarding server/streamer architecture, it seems to be an impossible trade-off. If you separate Roon core and player, you minimize the aspect of processing-associated noise affecting the player. But then the extra cabling and interfaces act negatively on SQ since SQ is best with short, minimal pathways.

So similar status to Roon 1.8 :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for the info. I‘ll keep an eye on it. Streaming to Linn is not an issue.

1 Like

You happy with the Innuos to Qobuz integration?
Cheers
H

I cant wait for 2.0. Roon has been great but now that I’ve lost my DB twice in 12 months I’ve lost patience. There’s obviosly an issue with Innuos & Roon working together to store a roon DB. Innous were amazing and investigated throroughly for me. Roon unfortunately could only copy and paste an already populated email response twice. Odd for a company that you would think a priority would be holding on to current customers.

2 Likes

It’s the support side of things making me seriously look at this as an alternative. But it has to support other endpoints to get in a chance.

2 Likes

If it can’t support Dlna and endpoints like Auralic, Cambridge, Pro-ject, Naime,etc, it will be worthless.

In their blog it says at the end it will initially support Squeezebox players! Lol. Really.

That’s rich! :joy::joy:

One phrase operates here for ROON sales, “Mass market product”. I am afraid those of us who listen to classical music are marginalised and will continue to be so.
Fortunately for me, this is not the only genre of music I listen too.

I have an Innuos Statement. I found moving the Roon Core off the Statement had a positive effect on SQ in spite of the extra cables and interfaces. I purchased a used Antipodes Core to run Roon Core.
A few months ago I purchased an external clock for 2 of my switches and found moving the Roon Core back to the Statement and using Experimental mode with Squeezelite sounds the best. It has not glitched once since. I think they fixed the issue. I am still using 3 switches plus the home router.
Done right extra cables and interfaces can be a benefit.

Innuos have not fixed the issue; they say the problem lies with Roon and Roon won’t change their code to resolve it. The instability still shows up when you try to switch back and forth between tracks or files. This is real pain if you’re trying to A/B about 10 seconds of each of two files. No amount of hitting the back arrow after stopping play fixes this. I’ve had play simply hang, refusing to play anything at all until the system is rebooted. Or it starts skipping tracks. That, together with the fact that in Innuos 2.0, they are still not going to implement Tidal properly until “later” (whatever that means, given the speed of Innuos’ software development), for me means that Antipodes is probably in the near future. That’s as opposed to going up in the Innuos line to either the Phoenix or the Statement.

I’m surprised at your switches because I own a Melco and found that the Innuos Zenith Mk3 is better without a switch. Reviewers have said the same about the Innuos line.

I went back to Experimental mode about a month ago after getting tired of Roon freezing on me after the most recent update. It also runs a lot slower. I am not using DSP and had the Core on an Antipodes Core. Experimental mode has been more stable for me than Roon. And sounds so much better. I have experienced the freezing when skipping tracks quickly with the older Innous versions. After 1.4.7 no problems and I updated to 1.4.8 this week with no problems and Experimental mode has been rock stable. I read they updated the squeezelite player. I hear a big change but I also replaced the 300B voltage regulator tubes in my pre-amp at the same time- didn’t think to wait.
I found adding switches kept making it better when I had the Core on the Antipodes. That’s my experience. Tidal has never sounded so good. FWIW, I also found adding a DDC to the USB out of the Statement a big benefit.

I lost my Roon Core this weekend and in the process of trouble shooting I removed the ER and SOtM switches and ran it with only the English Electric 8Switch between the router and Statement. Streaming Tidal was greatly degraded. Restarting the ER brought the Core back as well as a much better sound.

I haven’t seen the reviews commenting on switches. Were they “Audiophile” switches? It may be that a simple network switch and SMPS added noise and degraded the sound. I have taken all the SMPS’s out of my system except haven’t gotten around to the router.

I also remember when I first added the EE8S between the Statement and the SOtM and ER it was beneficial. After adding the external clock to the SOtM and ER the system sounds best with the EE8S between the router and SOtM/ER and Statement. I have the ER feeding the Statement, I haven’t tried taking the SOtM out of the middle and have it feed the Statement but some day I will.

I am not interested in a hardware manufacturer offering that copies Roon.
Sure, Roon released the Nucleus but it is not a requirement. The Roon offering is stand alone and I can choose which hardware to use. I don’t ever want to be tied to hardware.

Any word on 2.0 release date? I thought it was going to be end of May.

It’s rolling out very soon according to last blog but will be released across the range at different times. In the last stages of beta which they rolled out to more users. If they find any glaring issues it will be delayed while those are sorted. Sounds like a sensible roll out, people who are on the beta have been very positive thus far.

Have you investigated idagio… a classical oriented streaming service.
Maybe not what you’re looking for but no harm taking a look.