Innuos 2.0 Roon killer?

Have they fixed their gapless omissions, I haven’t looked in a while

http://support.idagio.com/en/articles/3705221-is-gapless-playback-available-on-idagio

Iadagio and Primephonics but preferred Qobuz for choice and ability to purchase. Streaming not really my thing though - prefer internet radio and Medici tv. What is missing for me is a more Roon-like (though less bloated) equivalent of Musichi for managing my own digital files. Audirvana Studio has good sound quality but even worse at metadata management for classical.

I may well run Innuos 2.0 as part of my main system and Roon elsewhere throughout my house and with my headphones. One disadvantage of Innuos 2.0 is that it will only output by usb, whereas I currently use the ethernet output. They plan to sort this out fairly soon.

This is now out on the Statement range, the others will follow each week. First impressions from users is it’s very good.

I hope it’s better than their Innous.com website which seems to take ages to load??

I have the Innous ZenMini + LPSU & couldn’t be happier. I did extensive research before buying & even when down the “build my own audiophile server” route but once you add up all the parts the price of the Innous whilst higher, it wasn’t a huge gap so I invested in their experience & know how.

I’m also a ROON user & have recently ditched TIDAL for Quobuz purely based on SQ as for me, Quobuz easily bested MQA. The only downside is that TIDAL appears to have a bigger database & better GUI but I can live with that for better SQ.

So…of Innous 2.0 can match or even surpass ROON, then maybe I will ditch ROON as I already have the hardware. It will certainly be a big change for me as I thought I’d be ROON/TIDAL for life only 6 months ago.

Better go & see whether the Innous website has loaded :grimacing:

1 Like

I have been looking at grabbing a Innous ZenMini + LPSU too and was hoping that the new 2.0 would be saving me the annual fee of Roon.

I’m very much looking forward to seeing what people think as I am currently in the process of burning CDs into a library due to the lockdown here in Sydney.

Doubt switching will save you on any cost if you have already invested in Roon . The price of the mini here is equivalent of 10 years of Roon on its own. If I was starting for the first time and had no kit suitable then it would make financial sense to switch as the hardware is included but not now. I am very interested though to see how it develops as it looks a step forward for product software and may run better, who knows. Currently there isn’t much alternatives to Roon, and competition creates innovation and may make them and others to start to up the game again.

1 Like

I use my ZenMini +LPSU as my Roon Core. Had a few problems at first when using Squeeze Lite with the Zen, but when I disabled that everything works fine. I originally used the ZenMini’s inbuilt DAC as my Roon Endpoint and this worked fine. But switching to a Pro-Ject DAC Box S2+ with USB connection to the Zen and RCAs to my Musical Fidelity amp showed a marked improvement in SQ. I’m very happy with this set-up and streaming highest res files from Qobuz is a real eye-opener (or should that be ear-opener?!). Question is, would I gain anything by replacing the ZenMini with a Roon Nucleus (+internal SSD), or would it be a waste of money?

Zenith 3 users should get it tomorrow hopefully.

That may depend on your system but I just installed 2.0 and am blown away with how much better it sounds than Roon. I have a Statement and was initially using it as an endpoint with an Antipodes Core (way better than a Nucleus) as a Roon Core, however it was bested by Experimental Mode with squeezelite moving the Core back to the Statement. My Roon subscription ended last month and while I waited for 2.0 I used the Innous app with LMS and found it was even better than Experimental Mode.

Innuos 2.0 is a marked improvement over the Innuos w/LMS. First impressions, even Tidal sounds really much cleaner and more relaxed. I think it comes down to wiping away layers of noise.
I am very satisfied with the interface and searching.

Overall the update is more than I expected and no small improvement in my system.
I would encourage anyone with an Innuos server to check it out before moving to Roon and a Roon Core.

2 Likes

Is there any change in the sound of Experimental mode? Supposedly Squeezelite was rewritten.
Too bad that 2.0 doesn’t support Tidal MQA decoding.

I didn’t know 2.0 doesn’t support Hi rez. I have it set on Master for sound quality. I will play a higher rez file and see what my DAC is receiving tonight or tomorrow.

I can’t say what any change in Squeezelite might have occured.

Your right. I play MQA files from Tidal and they play as 16/44. Tidal still sounds better than before 2.0.

Innuos have been saying they don’t have support yet for Tidal Masters but expect to provide it at some later time.

I have a Zenith III and since updating to Innuos 2.0 I cannot use the Squeezelite option anymore… Anyone else experiencing the same?
I cannot compare directly, but Innuos own app seems to offer very good sound. The app is responsive but functionality is lightyears behind Roon at the moment. I really hope Squeezelite will still be available because I am not ready to part with Roon…

It’s still there as far as I know, other users I know have been using it.

InnuOS seems to be built primarily for local file playback and their app, without especially good search/discovery capability, might be adequate for that. Right now, every server manufacturer, streaming service provider, and independent software maker (Roon, Audirvana, JRiver etc) tries to write their own app but most can’t compete. In the future, search/discovery and overall file/library management are likely to be big drivers for successful streaming services, and it’s companies like Roon and Spotify whose software should win out.

I have a similar issue @Bped , thought it was just me or operator error!

I use the Sonore UPnP Bridge to get Roon to my Naim streamer - worked fine before update to 2.0, now it cannot find Squeezelite device.

Strangely, I am able to play music from my Zenith Mk3 to my Naim streamer using the Innuos App, and ,UPnP Bridge’ appears in the bottom right hand side of the screen, so it clearly is working OK.
Some link to bridge to Roon seems to have been broken in the meantime.

I’ve sent a message to Innuos Support, if I get any response/resolution I will post back.
It might be something to do with the Roon update also, both Roon and Innuos updated on the same day for me….it’s going to be difficult to work out I suspect.

ok, let’s see how this plays out with Innuos support…
I just made a comparison of Innuos sense 2.0 vs Roon core out of Zenith III. Innuos is better to my ears: more transparent, particularly better in rendering spatial clues, wider deeper soundstage, a tad leaner. Roon in direct comparison is a touch more veiled, rounder sound, maybe a bit more bass (probably because less defined). Roon app is of couse much more sophisticated.
can we have the best of both worlds?? :wink:

2 Likes

I have a feeling that might be too much to ask!
I just added a note in my above post - it could also be the Roon update that has caused the issue, just as much as it could be the Innuos update…….let’s see