Install b0rked after migrating to ROCK from Mac Roon

After a few weeks on a Mac, I moved over to a NUC with ROCK today.

ROCK installed fine, it appears. I can go to its IP address and do the things that the web interface permits.

The existing core, from the Mac, backed up without complaint, and restored to the NUC without error messages as well.

Going back to the Mac Roon, which is now effectively just a Roon Remote, I was informed that I had No Audio Devices Found. According to the ROCK migration directions, if I wanted my Mac’s local devices to be accessible, I’d need to run RoonBridge.

I’m running RoonBridge now, and that’s not helping. Also, there are two other problems that suggest that it’s not really an audio device problem:

1. My discover page just shows the waiting Roon logo for a long time. This lengthy lag is new to me, so I don’t know if it means core trouble or just something that happens the first time a core loads up.

2. My Mac’s watched folders (the standard ~/Music location) are not showing up as watched.

So, does this mean the core didn’t actually restore from backup?

Try firewall…

Oh, or if you are saying that your zones are gone, that makes sense, you’ll have to reconfigure those because the “point of view” of the core changed.

How, specifically?

I don’t know Mac, so I can’t tell you precisely. But just try turning it off entirely for a second and see if the core detects the audio devices on your Mac.

It also looks like you’ll need to reconfigure your storage.

Did you read the instructions on how to migrate your Room? There’s a process…

Yes, as I mentioned in the OP.

At any rate: it is not a firewall problem (I didn’t think so, but I checked to be sure). It’s a “nothing from my database is showing up–not audio devices, not albums, not nothing” problem.

If I tell Roon to “clean up the library,” it says there are 5851 items that are from a storage location that no longer exists. So that makes sense: it’s on the NUC now, so the path to the Mac directory is broken. But it’s not because of the firewall.

I mean, really, I’ve only been using Roon for a few weeks, and it’s no huge deal if I have to nuke the whole Roon core and start over. But I don’t know how to do that, either.

Can you share a screenshot of the ROCK web interface and Roon (Mac) Settings > General.

Sounds like ROCK doesn’t see the share… If i’m right in my understanding that you migrated Roon’s library, but not the music files, then…

Can you also share a screenshot of Settings / Storage in Roon, and maybe System Preferences / File Sharing in OSX ?

OK, here are some screenshots. This morning, I installed internal storage in the NUC and copied over the files from the old storage location on my Mac, and so now when I go to “Library Cleanup” it no longer says there are items in the database that are in a location that doesn’t exist anymore:

And that’s really weird, because if you look at the Albums page, for example, Roon clearly thinks some stuff is missing:

So, OK, getting to your requests for specific screens, here’s Settings>Storage:

And here’s Settings>General:

And finally, here’s the web interface:

It is weird - the internal storage is empty according to the web interface.

Where did you copy 'em to ?

are they in InternalStorage/Music on your ROCK device ?

1 Like

Oops. That’s because I took the screenshot before I refreshed the web interface. After refreshing the page, the Internal Storage is at 69% availability, not 100%.

How did you copy the files to internal storage? Using a network file share or directly to the disk before adding this to the NUC?

See the following. Also note that storage locations on ROCK will be different to the iMac so would need to be recreated.

Can you confirm that you see the ROCK file share? I assume you installed the codecs?

My understanding from the documentation is that putting the files on the disk and then putting the disk in the NUC won’t work.

So, I added a drive, booted the NUC, formatted the drive using the web interface, and then copied all the files from their HDD location on my Mac to the SMB share on the NUC—specifically, data>Storage>InternalStorage. This SMB share is fully accessible over the network. I can browse it using the Finder on my Mac, no problem.

So even if all the old files were missing/links to the locations were broken, I would expect to see 5000+ NEW items showing up in the database, after being automatically imported when I put them into the Internal Storage. But no. Instead, there are no longer 5000+ orphaned items; there are zero. And yet none of the files are showing up in the Library. And I don’t have audio devices.

Well, there could always be weirdness at two levels. Have you tried refreshing internal storage, and, if that fails, rebooting your NUC since adding the files (from the web interface, eh, let’s not add insult to injury here) ?

Is “refreshing internal storage” the same as selecting “force rescan” from the Settings>Storage listing?

I’m starting to get the impression that this is a problem that people aren’t going to recognize.

Are there directions somewhere for people who just want to start over?

yes it is. let’s see if that’s where the problem is.

Let’s give it another few tries before calling you a beautiful and unique snowflake, shall we ? :wink:

(it also probably won’t be quicker to just restart, because much of what takes time isn’t active, so copying files over etc…)

Probably nothing you haven’t already read.

Alright, I have set a rescan into motion. Or, at least, I think I have. Roon is not always the best about indicating that it has heard and obeyed a particular request.

How long would an import of 70G worth of mp3 files typically take?

Depends on the number of files, not the volume… What you’re looking at is the number of tracks imported under “Watching for new files in real time”.

You should have a line below that which says “xxxx Tracks Imported”. If that line isn’t there, then Roon isn’t seeing your files.

Top of my head, there could be a couple of reasons if that’s what’s happening.

1. The files didn’t copy over (say OSX decided to only make shortcuts or something of the sort)

2. There’s some weird permissions issue.

3. There’s something else.