Installed new mesh WiFi system, Roon zones vanished

@JM_in_SF I have a very similar setup to yours - replaced a dying Airport last year with several Eero devices. I read the Roon advice and set up Eero in “Bridge” mode from the start (Eero app Settings → Network settings → DHCP & NAT). Everything works fine, and like you I’m thrilled with Eero’s great wifi in the house.

I never noticed it before, but when the Roon app is up on my iPad, it does show up in the Roon app on my Mac under Settings → Audio. The iPad does not appear in the Audio Zone chooser at the bottom-right corner of the app, though. So I’m not sure why this matters. Does the Roon app work on your iPad?

I changed the network name when I installed Eero, and turned off the Airport. I do still run an Airport Express, though, connected to the new network, and I occasionally play music from its 3.5mm port to a portable speaker. My Roon core is wifi only - not recommended, they say, but it works fine for me. Maybe try the Eero bridge mode - you could probably just switch back if something was interrupted when you did that.

Right, not available in the audio section of setup either.

1 Like

The Roon app on my iPhone & iPads does recognize the Roon server (although, under Settings, if I try to “Find” the Roon OS, it hangs – this is true on my iPad, my iPhone and even on the laptop where the Roon core is located), but neither is recognized as a zone.

I use the Airport Expresses to stream music through the audio port to an external amplifier that’s connected to speakers.

I got a message from Roon tech support with some things to try. Busy day today, I won’t get to any of this until tomorrow. Sincere thanks for engaging with me on this!

1 Like

As I mentioned in a reply to a different poster, I received a message from Roon tech support today with some things to try.

I use the Airport Expresses as you do – to stream audio through the 3.5 mm port to separate small stereo systems (people often say “Why don’t you just get a Sonos system or somesuch” and the answer is “I invested a lot of time and $$ in my speakers and I like them, am not ready to give them up.”

At least I can stream Tidal directly to the Airport Expresses, without Roon.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.