Installed OS X Mojave, now No Remote iPad Access

Hi, Mike - thanks for your help! When I was working with the Apple tech I had the iPad, my iPhone, the AirPort Extreme, and the Mac Pro running the Core all in the same room. The MoCA segment connecting the Airport Express upstairs was not in the scheme. (By the way, the MoCA setup has run flawlessly from the get-go). At the time I was working with the Apple tech, nothing else was connected besides the Internet - in other words, the setup you describe was the setup in place when I was talking to Apple. The Apple techā€™s personal opinion (not an opinion of Apple, obviously) was that the issue could be in the Mojave networking function (which was changed from previous versions of OS X), or between the Mojave networking function and Roon. We replicated this behavior - I went through the process of flushing the PRAM several times, and each time I could connect my handheld device to the Core afterwards (both iPhone and iPad). These connections broke immediately upon closing and reopening the Roon Remote software, however, and I had to go through the process of flushing the PRAM once again in order to connect and play music. Flushing the PRAM seems to remove some element of code that is sitting in the OS somewhere and which prevents the Roon Remote from connecting to the Core. When this happens the Remote software correctly identifies the Core, and correctly informs the Remote user that the connection has failed. For these reasons the Apple tech felt that it is unlikely that the problem is in my networking setup. He was very methodical and patient, and we worked this issue one variable at a time - I was on the phone with him for 90+ minutes.

Itā€™s 12:15 Pacific Time (San Francisco). Iā€™m going to open the Roon Core and try to connect to it now so that your servers can collect the data you have set them up to collect. Look for the time signatures.

I just went through the process of opening Roon Core and Roon Remote after deleting Remote, rebooting my iPhone 8S+ by doing the ā€˜volume up, then volume down, then holding the power button until the phone rebootsā€™ thing, then re-installing Remote - after I opened the reinstalled Remote app, Remote tried a number of times to connect to the Core but failed repeatedly. If you were recording this from the Server then you should have a picture of what is going on.

It has been 14 days since I posted this, and no solution to my problem has been forthcoming from Roon. I have verified each and every question that was asked by Roon Support personnel. I spent 90 minutes on the phone with an Apple support engineer, and we were able to isolate certain aspects of the issue that indicate strongly that the problem is not with my home network or components, but rather it isletā€™s likely to be between Roon and Apple. I am extremely frustrated that I havenā€™t heard anything on this thread for a week.

What gives? I had a perfectly-functioning installation before I installed Mojave. Installing Mojave broke it. No mention as to whether Roon has been able to replicate the issue or fix it. Is this being swept under the rug? I still cannot play music from either Roon or Tidal. A lot more continuous engagement by Roon would be appreciated.

Hello @Michael_Bade,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in getting back to you here. I have just checked our diagnostics servers and have not seen any new reports come in from your machine, can I please ask you to use these instructions and manually send is the log files to take a look?

I have also added your case to be discussed in our weekly meeting with QA and the devs to see what exactly the PRAM reset can be triggering that causes the issue with your iPad connecting.

Please provide the manual log files when you have a chance so that I can attach them to your case.

Thanks,
Noris

Please give instructions as to how to send the compressed log files to you. I donā€™t use Dropbox and donā€™t want an account (I had one). I can send a link from my iCloud Drive easily enough, but I need to know where to send it to, and as we have been corresponding on the message board, this is not obvious. Please let me know.

Hi @Michael_Bade,

I just PMā€™d you upload instructions.

Thanks,
Noris

PM? Iā€™m sorryā€¦ not following.

Hi @Michael_Bade,

My apologies, I should have made that more clear. PM = Private Message.
It should be a green ā€œ1ā€ button in the top right-hand corner of this website that indicates you have a new direct message from me.

Thanks,
Noris

Got it - the file name is Michael_Bade_Logs.zip

Let me know if you need more info!

Thank you for sending those log files over @Michael_Bade, I can confirm that we have received them and I have attached them to your case. I will be sure to let you know once QA has had a chance to review your case and propose next steps here.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Michael_Bade,

I appreciate your patience while I have discussed your case with QA. I cannot give you an answer yet as to why the PRAM reset helps with discovering the iOS devices (the devs are still reviewing that aspect) but what I can do is suggest a test here to narrow down where this issue actually lies.
Please try the following:

• Connect one of your Airport Access Points directly to the modem or primary router bypassing the Coax adapters

• Have the Core connected to the Router/Access Point via Ethernet and connect the iPad to the same Access Point via WiFi and nothing else to the access point

• Verify if the issue still occurs afterwards

Please let me know if you are able to perform this test with this simplified network as this will give us a better idea of where exactly the issue is happening and as soon as I hear back from the devs regarding the PRAM reset I will let you know.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi, Noris -
Before I get started on the test, another wrinkle occurred to me. Part of the Mojave install was encrypting my boot drive with FileVault. This was requested by my workplace network security for all computers that remotely access the workplace network. I did that before installing Mojave. I also re-installed Roon (by upgrading to Roon 1.6). I have been unhappy with some aspects of the post-encryption user experience, and so over the weekend plan to uninstall encryption (with the approval of our network security folks, and following their script). I donā€™t know if your team has encountered issues with FileVault, but I remembered this was part of the Mojave upgrade and so I wanted to tell you.

As for the network setup - (You wrote): (My replies in Boldface)

Please try the following:

• Connect one of your Airport Access Points directly to the modem or primary router bypassing the Coax adapters (MGB: Downstairs connectivity is as you requested here - the Coax connection is only to the upstairs Airport Express. The downstairs AirPort Extreme is and always has been hard-wired to the ethernet switch.)

• Have the Core connected to the Router/Access Point via Ethernet and connect the iPad to the same Access Point via WiFi and nothing else to the access point (MGB: The Core is and always has been hard-wired to the ethernet switch.)

• Verify if the issue still occurs afterwards (MGB: I am going to try rebooting and flushing the PRAM tonight, as well as deleting and then reinstalling Roon Remote on my phone and laptop. I will then attempt to get everything to work the way it did when I was on the phone with Apple. As you have all my log files up to now, I am wondering if I should delete these and then send you the logs after I try the experiment?)

Thanks!
Mike

Hi @Michael_Bade,

Thanks for letting me know that last piece of the wrinkle.
I have not seen any reports from customers with FileVault but this does not mean that it canā€™t be a factor for the issue, I did find one article that lists Server Issues while using FileVault but it is too early to say if this would be the leading cause.

If you want, you can also try installing a fresh version of Roon just to get this aspect out of the way. To set your current database aside and try with a fresh one, you can follow these instructions:

• Make a Backup (http://kb.roonlabs.com/Backup) of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roonā€™s Database Location:(https://kb.roonlabs.com/Database_Location)
  • Find the folder that says ā€œRoonā€
  • Rename the ā€œRoonā€ folder to ā€œRoon_oldā€
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our website to generate a new Roon database

I would not worry about the deleting the logs. If you want to try a fresh database, they will be stored in the Roon_old folder and if you donā€™t want to try a fresh database, then they automatically update with new information each time you start Roon.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks! I will try everything later tonight if I have the energy. Otherwise latest this weekend.

1 Like

For many reasons (life is what happens when you are making other plans) a long time has transpired since the last messaging on Feb 7, but I have done what was recommended above (new download of Roon software, rebuilding the Roon database as instructed) and it did not resolve the issue. In the course of following the instructions I also installed a new Synology NAS, and moved the folders containing my music files to an 8TB hard disk on a USB cable connected directly to the Mac Pro, so that the NAS doesnā€™t serve the music any more, and functions only as a backup. (I took any latency issues involving the NAS out of the equation). The Roon database is on my Mac Pro, as always.

Iā€™m really quite frustrated by this whole experience. I only hear from Roon when I write to the company in this forum. Why is that? It feels like Iā€™m being strung along. Any ideas as to why this is happening to me? Are any other users experiencing this? The only two things that were changed between the Mac OS 10.13.6 setup (which worked superbly) and the OS X 10,14.x setup (which doesnā€™t work at all) is the change in OS (which Roon knew was coming for a long time) and the change in Roon version. Everything else was the same, until I moved the music files to an independent 8 TB hard disk.

So, Roon, whatā€™s the diagnosis? What should I do? Surely you have been investigating issues like this that others have experienced!

Hi Michael,

I have been following this thread out of interest as I also have a MacPro running Mojave and I use iOS remotes (iPhone and iPad Pro). My network topology is different to yours, I have an ASUS Router. My MacPro is hardwired via Ethernet to my router which is in a different room. I have never (yet) had any issues with my iOS remotes connecting to the core on my MacPro, and I have used Roon on the last 3 Mac operating systems.

The support guys will only respond when you tell them there are issues and this forum is the only place to get support from Roon. I donā€™t believe you are being strung along at all.

Can you try plugging your MacPro directly in to your router via Ethernet, turn everything off, then re-boot your router, then your MacPro and finally your iPad?

Have you also tried closing the Roon app completely on your iPad via swiping up in the app switcher mode and then reset your iPad by holding down the power button and home button simultaneously until the Apple logo reappears?

What type of MacPro are you using? Is it by any chance a classic MacPro 4,1 that has been firmware hacked to look like a 5,1. I know that these had issues with firevault corrupting the OS hard drive?

Sorry that I canā€™t be of more help to you.

I admit Iā€™ve only skimmed this thread, but it strikes as a little mad. It has nothing to do with Apple disk encryption, so donā€™t bother decrypting your hd, which can take hours or days. Iā€™ve used Roon with Mojave and an encrypt drive, it works. Roon is a network reliant app, and 9 times out of 10 this is where the problem will be. A firewall, a bad gateway, or messed up network topography. Make things as simple as possible to get it working.

Exactly! Router, Mac, optional control point. Nothing else is required.

Iā€™m not sure if this is relevant in this case either:

Head to System Preferences > Security & Privacy, Privacy Tab, then scroll to the Accessibility list. Here, click the plus button and add Roon.app to the allowed list. You may need to click the lock in the lower left corner to allow changes to this screen.

If you already see Roon in this list, highlight it and click the ā€˜-ā€™ button to get rid of this existing entry. Then click the ā€˜+ā€™ button and add Roon.app to the list again.

Hi, guys! Thanks for responding. Iā€™m set up in the following way:

1. Motorola DSL router (comes with our internet access). Been working like a champ for 5 years.
  2. Netgear 1 GB switch. Likewise, had it for 5 years.
  3. Apple AirPort Extreme base station, connected to the switch via Ethernet. This gives me wireless access.
  4. Mac Pro 2013 (where Roon resides) This is where the Roon database is.
  5. 8TB WD Hard Drive on USB connection to the Mac Pro. This is where the music files are.

I have been trying to get my iPad or iPhone to play music in Roon using the System Output to my desktop speakers to simplify matters. Iā€™m not yet trying to get the music to play on my stereo upstairs.

I had already made sure that Roon was checked in the ā€˜Privacyā€™ tab. I refreshed this as suggested. I wonā€™t have time to test until I get home from work tonight (Iā€™m in San Francisco).

So thatā€™s it. I gotta run to work.