Installing Music on the Nucleus

I received my Black Friday Roon Nucleus this afternoon and got it up and running. First I installed a Samsung 1TB SSD then hooked it up with an ethernet cable and HDMI to my Oppo 203. I tried multiple times to restore the backup I made yesterday from Roon on my Dell laptop, but got an error message every time. I had backed up to a USB hard drive and SD card, but got errors with both. However, when I looked for my albums they were all there, so maybe the restore worked, IDK. I simply logged into my Tidal and Qobuz accounts and everything seemed to work OK.

I was able to format the installed SSD and set it as storage location, but I can’t figure out how to copy my handful of albums from my Dell laptop music folder to the Roon internal drive. I’m thinking I need to do a network share of the folder on my Dell with Roon, but I can’t get that to work. If anybody has any ideas, I would appreciate a little help. Otherwise, I won’t worry about it.

By the way, I am very happy with this “used” Nucleus. It looks brand new and works great. I did find a loose screw bouncing around inside from I don’t know where. I also only got 3 of 4 screws for attaching the internal SSD. However, other than those small issues, all it great. Thanks Roon.

I was also able to immediately connect to the Nucleus with my iPad and iPhone. So, I have Roon core on Nucleus with iPad, iPhone, and Dell laptop as control devices. HDMI from Nucleus to Oppo 203 works great and everything plays at the proper resolution including MQA’s and 24/192.

Oh yes, I also had to update from Roon 1.6 to 1.7. That went flawlessly.

2 Likes

Hi James,

This KB Article should get you sorted.

1 Like

I can get to this:

Index of \nucleus\Data\Storage\InternalStorage\

But, I can’t figure out how or where to copy files. Help. Thanks.

I expect from the backslashes that you are using a Windows PC.

Open your existing music storage directory.
Open the Nucleus storage directory.
Select All in the music storage directory.
Drag the selected files to the Nucleus storage directory and choose Copy.

1 Like

I am trying to add a folder on my Dell laptop as a Roon storage location. Roon wants me to setup a network share. I am unable to do this and get an error message. The path is:

\\DESKTOP-G******\Users\jgera\Music

Is this what I’m suppose to type in as storage location. I get an error message everytime. Also, I can’t backup Roon to my Dell laptop for the same reason. When I type in the path to the backup directory on my Dell, I get an error message. I just don’t know what I am doing. It’s been a long time since I fooled with this stuff. I have shared the folder to “Everyone” on private network.

Where are your existing music files stored ?

1 Like

The few I have are on my Dell laptop hard drive in that Music folder. I tried to copy them to the Nucleus storage drive, but I don’t think I was able to.

Open that Music folder.

Open another Explorer folder and copy/paste in the Nucleus storage folder address from the KB article (\\NUCLEUS\Data\Storage\InternalStorage) remembering to adapt for NucleusPlus if that is what you have.

Select all the files in the Music folder and drag them into the Nucleus storage folder, choose Copy.

1 Like

I can’t get that to work. Must be doing something wrong. I’m going to copy the Music folder to a USB drive and plug that into the Nucleus and see if that will work. I’ll also see if I can back up to the USB drive. Thanks for your help.

Have you formatted the Nucleus storage as set out in the KB Article ?

The USB method will not work. Use the method in the KB Article.

You can back up your Roon database to a USB stick from within Roon, but it will not work for audio files.

1 Like

Yes, I formatted the installed SSD. It is my main storage location. I also just copied my music files from my Dell laptop to a USB drive and attached it. Roon imported those music files to my library. I also set up the USB drive as a backup location and made another Roon backup. All is good now. Thanks.

Am I supposed to backup Roon to the installed SSD or an external drive or both? I thought the installed SSD was for ripped music files only??

Well, I guess all is not good now. I still can’t figure out how to get these music files from my USB drive to my Nucleus internal SSD that I installed. I can’t get the Nucleus to recognize the shared Music folder on my Dell laptop and I can’t seem to copy them to the Nucleus either. I may have to just forget these files.

What happens when you drag files from your Music folder to the Nucleus storage folder ? Are you getting an error message ?

Forget the music files on USB plugged into the Nucleus thing and don’t worry about the Nucleus recognising a directory on your laptop. That is not necessary in order to copy files and can wait until afterwards. Just focus on why we can’t drag files from your Music storage into the Nucleus storage.

This article is more step by step but it is adapted to ROCK rather than Nucleus. For the second method you would use the Nucleus address, not ROCK.

You can also try the first method specified. Point a Roon Remote installation on your laptop to the Nucleus Core. Then drag and drop files from the Music storage onto the Roon icon.

1 Like

I just noticed that the Nucleus storage address in my post further up was missing a backslash at the start. Make sure it has two backslashes if copying from my post.

1 Like

What do I copy there, individual music files?

PS: I may need to return this Nucleus. I’m getting a little stutter or static sound every 30 seconds or so.

When I drag individual music files there it just starts trying to play them on some Dell music player.

Firstly let’s get one file copied across. The rest can follow.

On your laptop open your Music folder where your music files are stored.

Open a second Explorer folder and paste this into the address bar:

\\NUCLEUS\Data\Storage\InternalStorage

Make sure there are two leading backslashes. This will open the Nucleus storage folder.

Right click on a file or Album folder in your Music folder. Drag it to the Nucleus folder and select Copy from the menu which appears when you drop it.

If your music file starts playing then you are probably double left clicking on it. Use a right click to drag and drop.

Did that work for one file or folder ?

1 Like

it’s not used, it’s new – just didn’t pass QC for cosmetic reasons.

Included in the package, there is a small bag with 4 screws for the internal drive. The loose screw is probably from that. We had a round of manufacturing where they used a bag with a hole in it to hold the screws (so stupid!), and 1 probably fell out.

You are correct. Backup to an external place like Dropbox, USB, or NAS.

Yes, put your music on your PC/Mac (or attach the USB drive there), and then you have 2 options:

1. drag and drop the files to Roon on that PC/Mac – it’ll copy them
  2. copy the files directly to \\Nucleus\Data\Storage\InternalStorage

First, let’s get your music copied and analyzed.

Danny, the little plastic bag had 3 small screws. The loose screw floating around was a much longer screw. No problem, I installed the SSD using 3 screws. It’s not going anywhere. Thanks.