Installing ROCK as a VM on a Synology NAS that supports VMM

Installing Roon using an SPK or as a Docker container has some issues with the Open vSwitch used by Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) which blocks Network Discovery of playback devices. I have a Synology DS918+ that I also use for a few work related VMs so could not deactivate Open vSwitch as suggested. As a work around I installed ROCK as a VM and it works well.

I created a guide for the install for anyone else that might need it;

4 Likes

Follewed your documents, I tried several times to install the ROCK as a VM on my Synology 920+, which runs DSM 7.2 on it.
But as I connect the VM the system keeping shows:Booting from Hard Disk

Can you help me with that

Thank you very much!

Only thing I can see is that the installer suggest 4Gb of RAM, but your VM only has 1, so maybe not able to boot?

I will buy RAM and try again.
Thank you for writing

I tried with 4GB of RAM for the VM, but still cannot successfully connect to it.The system keep showing:Booting from Hard Disk :joy:

Need help

Did you manage to get this going in the end? I guess check the boot order.
It’s trying to boot from the empty disk it looks like, needs to boot from the ISO drive first to do the install.

@nick_ruan1 - Have you tried running Roon in Docker on Synology? I did, at one point, get ROCK running in VMM on Synology but my experience is that it is better in all ways in Docker.

The original poster ran into issues caused by an interaction between Roon and Open vSwitch (which VMM requires). His solution was to run ROCK in VMM. In my case, I cared more about being able to run Docker containers and there really wasn’t anything I absolutely needed to run in VMM, so I uninstalled VMM, removed Open vSwitch, and switched to Synology in Docker. It runs great.

When I set up ROCK in VMM, I recall following the instructions that @Josh_H wrote but I think I had a problem similar to what you’re seeing. I think there may be a missing step where after the ROCK image is imported, it needs to be mounted or something like that. I can’t test it now because I’m fully committed to Docker and don’t want to do anything that impacts that.

@Josh_H - any chance I’m right about this? It’s been a while and I might not be remembering correctly.

You are absolutely right. I give up ROCK on VMM, and now I an enjoy Roon on Container Manager(Known as Docker in the previously DSM version)

Thank you for writing.

2 Likes

You’re probably right, and it was too long ago for me to remember, I don’t remember specifically doing anything to specify the boot disk, but I must have for it to have worked. Perhaps the order that the disks should have been created.

You’re bang on the reason I did it this was way to avoid the Open vSwitch issue.

I have long since also moved to a dedicated ROCK VM - but on a separate dedicated machine for a few other VMs (under Proxmox) that I needed for work, so I won’t be revisiting the original solution, but it does work. If anyone else stumbles on this thread and can fill in the missing piece of the puzzle, chime in here and I’ll update the docs.

1 Like