Installing roon software: Which computer: one that runs roon core, or my desktop?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
NUC7i7DNKE, i78650u, 8g ram, 128g SSD, 4tb storage, Fanless Asaka Case, running ROCK, Roon OS1.0 Build 174, stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Ethernet connected through home network system that includes desktop

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - )
Pro-Ject Stream box S2 ultra, usb connected to Parasound Halo P6 preamp

Description Of Issue
Which computer should I download Roon to, my desktop, or the NUC that has Rock program installed on it?

Huh? ROCK is Roon. On your NUC, no further download is necessary or possible…

Reading this might help -
https://kb.roonlabs.com/

Hi @Bill_Hurley,

Our KB has more details here (I definitely think it’s worth checking out as you get started), but to summarize:

• The NUC running ROCK is your Core machine. RoonServer is running on ROCK.
  • On your desktop and any other device that you want to control Roon from, you’ll want to install the Roon app and connect to the ROCK Core.

If you have any questions about this please let us know!

ROCK is the whole Roon package you do not need to install anything else on it, except ffmpeg which is outlined in the kb. You would download Roon remote on any pc you want to control Roon as ROCK is headless. On install it will ask if you want it to install as server it remote choose remote and connect it to the core running on the NuC with ROCK. You control Room there after from the remote or remote apps on iOS and Android.

Thanks, Crystal. slowly working my way through the install, so I appreciate your kind input

Thanks, BB, I appreciate your input. I am a total newbie, so need a lot of help.

Other than the remote app to control it, from what I am reading. Thanks for your help.

If you are referring to what goes on your NUC running ROCK then -

ROCK is all that would go on your NUC. It is runs under its own OS. No other software can be install on top of or alongside of, but only in conjunction with,

To control Roon, in this case the ROCK flavor of Roon (so to speak), you would need to put the Roon Remote on either another computer, e.g. your desktop computer, or on a tablet or phone.

All devices, desktop, NUC, tablet, etc. must be on the same network, obviously.

The other way is not to use ROCK, but to put the Roon program on your desktop or a NUC without ROCK, i.e. under Windows or in the Apple world under macOS.

That way all functions - Remote, Server, and Output would/could run on the same device.

I’m not support. I’m just another user, but my help is always there.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.