Integration of Amazon Music High Resolution

I use Roon for two separate things…High Fidelity Listening and Whole Home audio. For use 1, it does NOTHING, but for whole home audio, the announcement does add some “seamlessness” to existing functionality. The main thing is that the announcement boosts Roon’s profile to the mainstream. Maybe that makes Amazon take notice…maybe not. But it also helps boost what I feel is Roon’s biggest feature…vendor agnosticism. A $40 rPi can make any stereo or powered speakers a functional Roon endpoint. Most of the whole home audio platforms that is minimum $350. And controlling rooms and grouping is easier in Roon than any of the other platforms. Tidal just never could replace Spotify for me because of the Daily Mix type features. Amazon Music’s Stations are great for me. I no longer use Spotify or Tidal and if Amazon Music were integrated into Roon, I would be 100% Roon use at the house. Probably sell my Bluesound Node2s in the other rooms and replace with rPi. I would keep the Node2i on the living room because that is the only system, outside of my primary system, that even comes close to realizing the Bluesound’s benefits. Honestly, I dont think I would remove my USBridge from the main system to stream airplay to the ND8006. :slight_smile: So, I wont really be taking advantage of the D+M Roon-Tested status…but still hope it makes Amazon move.

1 Like

I agree and hope Roon gains more widespread use and would also like to see it become compatible with Amazon Music. Happy Listening!

3 Likes

+1 for Amazon Music HD streaming service support in Roon.

Would it help if all of us who would like this integration also made our request known here?..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us/ref=dm_m_contactcs?initialIssue=digital-order

…an online help via chat to officially log our requests.

1 Like

So, for what it’s worth I just chatted with a representative at Amazon about Roon integration and provided reasons as to why Amazon should do it and my contact information for follow-up if anyone with the Music service wanted to connect with me. :smiley:

2 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: High resolution audio from Amazon

I hope it doesn’t happen personally. It would kill off the competition. Qobuz are really trying. Of the main group, they have the best file formats and now very competitive in price (which doesn’t bother me). Ok their catalogue may not be as vast as amazons but it still pretty hefty.

7 Likes

So, you like to have an inferior service along with a limiting catalog, which by the way will perpetually continue to be limited, instead of having big bad uncle Amazon in the mix? I can tell you that the folks at Roon would welcome Amazon with open arms. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tried it cancelled it. No proper DAC support at all it’s a waste of space for any hifi user, and sounded somewhat meddled with. They don’t care for users or they would have added support for DACs properly . It’s just another big corp land grab. It might be cheaper but it’s crap.

6 Likes

I certainly do not consider that Qobuz and Tidal offer an inferior service.

In order for me to consider Amazon, they would have to offer at least an across the board CD quality service (preferably with Hi-res), and importantly the service would be have to be integrated into Roon.

If it was fully integrated into my Linn Klimax streamer, it might be a contender but probably not because I would hate to lose Roon. I have Amazon Prime, but even with the price I could get as a result it is still a long way from meeting my requirements.

1 Like

I agree that there are some shortcomings right now. But, there are some advantageous too. ‘IF’ they agree to Roon integration, they might improve.

I had to leave Tidal because their streaming service is not good over cellular. After months of working both Tidal and even my cellular carrier, Tidal’s solution was for me to download and run a VPN application while streaming from Tidal so that I wouldn’t have the stream cutting off. I even tried this ridiculous suggestion and still it simply wouldn’t perform well.

I love Qobuz and like their customer support as well, but their library is not great and some artists that I listen to, they don’t even have. Worse, even if they have the artist I like, sometimes new releases from them are not available.

Inferior service?! No I’m good with Qobuz and what they have to offer. Amazon my fill the gaps with chart/pop music but I’m not into that. Qobuz are trying their best an I prefer an underdog. Perhaps loyalty doesn’t mean anything to you.

I’m sure they would…but Roon haven’t hooked up with them for a reason

Agree with you

Not true …

1 Like

Ah, so it’s Amazon then holding it up…not what he eluded to. He seemed to think they would jump on the chance too, which made me think that it’s Roon holding it up :+1:

2 Likes

Never had an issue with Tidal over Cellular. It’s not the best caching system, so when you loose signal for a longer period you will loose streaming but when it’s their it works fine. Although nothing beats Spotify for caching when their is a loss of signal from my experience. +15 mins without a any connection at all and it still played.

1 Like

It wasn’t an issue everywhere, but unfortunately it was on the way to work and to my kids’ karate. When I switched to Qobuz there simply wasn’t a problem anymore. I am trying Amazon now on a free trial and no issue with them either. :blush:

Glad to see more high resolution services that aren’t Tidal and their MQA snakeoil. Supporting this is obviously in Roon’s interest when Amazon wants to play ball with them, but I just don’t see the reason to use the service over Quboz. Annual plans of Quboz are a good value (5 dollars cheaper than a prime HD sub), integrated in Roon, same 24/192 FLAC and is not Amazon. Monocultures should be actively avoided imo. So that’s all the more reason to keep supporting Quboz!

3 Likes

Unfortunately, Quboz is still only officially available in 12 countries. So, that’s roughly 195 countries less 12 that can use Qubuz officially - therefore 183 reasons alone. :laughing:

Yes, I hear there are work arounds, but they likely come at an additional cost. Further, if support was needed, I doubt that would be forthcoming. Perhaps there are additional work arounds. Either way, I would personally not use Quboz on the basis they do not support users in Australia.

As for monocultures, that’s clearly one’s ethical decision making process. I will say, I have not bought a single item from Amazon ever! Notwithstanding, I would welcome their integration if Amazon chose to support Roon.

From my perspective, it’s about making Roon reach the widest possible audience, so that it grows and improves. Similarly, as per most suggestions, I see throughout this forum, regardless of the number of likes/responses a thread may receive; on the basis it’s not too awkward to implement. The more functionality provided can only be for the betterment of Roon & the user experience.

Cheers.

1 Like

Ouch, sorry my perspective was US focused. You’re totally right, those other countries should care. I’d take Amazon over Tidal :grinning:

I agree. Roon reaching the widest audience is the best case. Elevating playback for everybody is a great goal, I hope they achieve.

1 Like

Can Roon’s archtects/designers/DEVs come up with a design that is not intrusive? then we are all set, I guess Amazon is worried/concerned about security, unless Amazon acquires Roon !!! Or Roon buys Amazon. :slight_smile:

1 Like