Integration of Amazon Music High Resolution

In the USA, Qobuz (via Roon) shows 25 DMB albums available

In Germany nothing

Sonos and a few other big players but nothing more. They also had Amazon music before HD was a thing. Roon are not going to splinter their user group with disparate ways to use services it’s just against everything it’s trying to be. No other music software supports it either so I assume their API likely is either restrictive or they are being restrictive with who can access it.

1 Like

Possible? Yes. Likely? No. Maybe? Less than a coin toss, IMO. Hope I am wrong.

So I wonder if there is a halfway for AmazonHD, Spotify, and others… what if you couldn’t add something to the library, but it showed up in search results… would that be better enough that you could accept that was as far as it would go? That’s basically the way Spotify/AmazonHD work in Sonos or other integrations. Wondering if that would work… so you could find and play, but it wouldn’t really integrate into the library. It’s kind of not really a solution, but at least it reduces your interfaces by 1…

no idea if this is technically feasible, but if it were feasible and easy would it be better or worse for people?

I’m also thinking that even if it were feasible and people liked it, it might be so far against the principles of Roon that they wouldn’t want to do it.

Roon can’t just connect to other services without their permission, no matter if its technical feasible or not.

Why there is such a demand for Amazon HD? Is it a price? Tidal & Qobuz offerings are really good.

3 Likes

The reason is Amazon offers true hires with a library that surpasses even Tidal’s. It’s also cheaper if you’re already a Prime member. Right now Amazon HD is hard to use with any hardware in bit perfect mode. If if we could have access to Amazon’s hires library but roon’s front end, that would solve most of this issues. You’d still be stuck with Amazon’s app for mobile solution until roon ever releases one of their own. It’s also nice to have more choices. Qobuz lowered their price in direct response to Amazon HD coming out.

2 Likes

My thoughts:

1. Price

2. Library size / selection

Full disclosure: I just pulled this out of my a**. I have no data to back it up, no measurements and no controlled blind tests. Purely subjective

2 Likes

Hello
I have a different opinion on Roon’s integration with Amazon - this is a typical win-win-win.
Amazon charges its user fee Roon, Roon charges its user fee, and finally the Roon user enjoys accessing Amazon HD through Roon.
What’s the problem?
It is Amazon and Roon who are loss-making in case of not getting along.

1 Like

The problem, which has been stated ad nauseam and you would know if you bothered to read this thread, is that Amazon doesn’t (as yet, if ever) want to play with Roon.

2 Likes

Take it easy, man
We are not CEOs of Roon and Amazon. This forum collects only opinions that probably have nothing to do with the facts.
I don’t have to read the entire forum to add my opinion and it seems to be right and it was related to business matters only. The merger of Roon with Amazon is a profit for both these companies and us users.
The failure of these companies to merge is a loss for everyone.

5 Likes

Amazon do not care! They are too big for this small market sector, unless you persuaded Bezos to use Roon?

2 Likes

Amazon dont really give a hoot about music really. They only have it to supplement the Echo/Alexa. They cant even be bothered calling Hi-Res correctly.

I tried them but not going to sink anymore money into this giant of a company.

Thats what I like about Qobuz. Music comes first, and Hi-Res is Hi-Res

2 Likes

This is really a pity about these rich guys! They do not know how their lives can be enriched by music!

It is pointless to post about this on this forum, unless you just like to see your words in print.

The people to contact about this is Amazon.

1 Like

In my opinion, we should raise this request on both sides:

• Here, to empower Roon in their conversation with Amazon, and to influence product development of Roon: I also want to see Amazon Music (HD) integration as my kids are using this services and I need ONE music library/playlist management system only.
  • raise / up-vote the request in front of Amazon: https://www.amazonforum.com/s/global-search/roon
2 Likes

I subscribe to Amazon HD and Qobuz. I don’t think I’d enjoy a partial implementation of Amazon Music HD. I’m already annoyed with how things work between Roon and Qobuz, that needs improvement as well, but I understand how it works and I’ve adjusted a bit, but somethings could be more streamlined. Seeing how Amazon typically handles its services preferring their own ecosystem, I wouldn’t except any sort of deep integration with Roon. For the folks saying X device has Amazon, I suggest that having the app available or being able to browse the library and playback files isn’t the same as what occurs with Roon and Qobuz/Tidal integration. It’s not an even comparison at all and falling short of how things are handled with Qobuz and Tidal would result in a less than satisfactory experience But I get it.

Something interesting is going down on Audirvana’s community forum. They had a statement on complying with Amazon Music requirements one day ago, which means Amazon could have decided to allow other music management platforms to utilize their music service, including Roon!

Audirvana Admin (Damien):
"Bonjour @bma, l’intégration d’Amazon HD est en effet une question importante et nous comprenons parfaitement votre demande. Nous ne pouvons pas vous en dire plus, car le processus d’intégration et ce qui est techniquement requis par Amazon sont pour l’instant davantage axés sur les intégrations dans le matériel audio. Nous ne pouvons pas vous en dire plus pour le moment, mais nous le ferons quand nous aurons plus d’informations.

The integration of Amazon HD is an important question indeed and we understand your request loud and clear. We can’t tell you more about it because the integration process and what is technically required by Amazon is more focused at the moment on integrations into audio hardware. We can’t tell you more at the moment but will do when will have more information."

1 Like

I read it as saying “We don’t care about Roon, Audirvana, etc. We just want to get it into every Pioneer, Denon, NAD, etc. that we can. If we do that, who needs the software companies!”

3 Likes