iMac 3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 40GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Linksys Velop AX4200 WiFi 6 Mesh

Connected Audio Devices

AppleTV and Libratone via Airplay 2, and Raspberry Pi via WiFi/Alsa

Number of Tracks in Library

20K+

Description of Issue

Since the latest Roon update, I’ve noticed intermittent dropouts, usually lasting a few seconds each time. It happens with tracks streamed via Qobuz and from my external hard drive. It will sometimes happen just about every song and sometimes only once during an entire album. When I first noticed this issue, I had not made any other changes to my setup or installed any other software on my computer since the update. I have restarted the computer, the router, changed the wifi channels to use the best available channels, but am still getting the dropouts. The log does show lost packets but the dropouts don’t always seem to coincide with any packet losses. I have only noticed this with the Airplay devices so far, but that could be because I use them more often. I’m not sure if this is an issue with the latest software or something on my end, but would really appreciate some help figuring it out. It’s making the listening experience very frustrating.

Thanks,
Ken

I would try running an ethernet cable temporarily if this is an option, to rule out the wifi which seems the most likely cause

Unfortunately, using an ethernet cable isn’t an option. Is there another way to see what might be causing these dropouts? I have had the same setup for years and have not experienced any problems until now and nothing in my setup has changed, which led me to believe that it was actually a software issue rather than a WiFi issue.

The problem with wifi is that it changes all the time. Neighbor has some new device, radar station goes up in the area, whatever, and what was good enough wifi suddenly isn’t. Maybe it’s not this, but it would be best to rule it out.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.