Intermittent distorted playback [fixed]

I am new to Roon today from JRiver 19. On playback Roon opens JRiver and I get occasional distortion sort of like dropouts. If I disable JRiver no sound. Exclusive mode is enabled. How do I play through Roon without jriver and avoid dropouts. I did not experience this issue with JRiver. Problem happens with both 16/44 and 24/192. Help! Thanks. Gordon graber

In Roon select your DAC and enable it, do.not select JRIVER asio. Make sure jriver is not running as it usually takes exclusive control of your audio.

what DAC do you have?

I am using an RME Babyface, which I have selected. If I don’t enable JRiver I get an error message on playback that no audio output device selected. I have tried disabling the RME in JRiver but then get no sound. How do I think I have eliminated the occasional distortion by increasing the buffer, but playback in Roon is through JRiver. How do I able disable JRiver without deleting the program from the pic? Thanks for your help. Gordon

In JRiver, you also have to setup which Audio Device you are going to use. How do you have JRiver setup? In JRiver, look under Tools, Option, Audio. At the top you should see Audio Device. What is it set to in JRiver?

In Jriver settings device selected is asio sub When I deselect that setting there is no audio output from Roon and I get an error dialog that no output device has been selected. In Windows RME is designated and all other out puts disabled. Perhaps I should enable system default output in Windows? I would prefer not to delete jriver because it has some studies such as ripping and format conversion I will still use and because importing my files (mostly hi resolution digitized vinyl) was arduous. My playback dac soon will be the Mytek Brooklyn. It isn’t terrible that playback is thru jriver but it does add a step to the signal path which can’t be optimum and which probably cause the dropouts requiring a longer buffer setting in jriver. The organizing features of Roon are fabulous. It downloaded the metadata for just about all of my vinyl record, some of which are obscure. Again, thanks for your help and suggestions. Gordon

Hey @Gordon_Graber – sorry for the trouble here! Can you post a screenshot of what you’re seeing in Roon on the Audio tab of Settings?

I’d also love to see screenshots of the RME Settings Panel and the Windows Audio Settings screen, if you don’t mind. Just let me know if you need some more help gathering and posting the screenshots, ok?

Thanks!

Hi Mike, Did you receive the Roon, Windows and JRiver audio settings on my pic. I sent them to you at customer support. Thanks. Gordon

Hello Mike, My previous post bounced back. Please let me know if you received the screen shots of Roon, Jriver and windows audio settings on my pc. thanks… Gordon

Hey @Gordon_Graber - not sure where you sent the screenshots, but you should be able to drag them (or paste them) right into the community site here. Can you try that?

Hi Mike, I have uploaded screen shots of windows, Jriver and Roon audio settings. Please let me know what you cantell. Thanks for your help. Gordon

Hello Mike, were you able to review the screenshots? Playback continues through JRiver. I e pertinence dropouts occasionally with 24/192 that do not happen on same music when played through JRiver with Roon out of the path. So I would like to resolve the issue if possible. By the way, the issue is/was not encountered when I played through tidal or Sirius radio. I have a Windows 7 with i7 processor 16 gb ram. 256 ssd and two mirrored 2tb hard drives. Thanks. Gordon graber

Hi @Gordon_Graber – from these screenshots it’s a little unclear which zone you’re using. Can you try these steps and let me know how it goes?

• Click the gear icon next to JRiver Media Center and disable that output
  • Name the output next to RME Babyface to whatever you want
  • Click the gear next to the Babyface, and setup the zone according to these instructions – I would recommend trying with and without Event Driven Mode enabled
  • Try playing back some content via the Zone you Babyface zone you named above

Let me know how that goes, and if you’re still having issues, we’ll dig a bit deeper. Thanks for your patience @Gordon_Graber!

Hi Mike,
Selecting the zone did the trick. I didn’t notice that step until your thread. Thank you! The program really is fabulous. May make superfluous my three year odyssey to learn about computers and archive my vinyl. Now for MQA! Thanks for your help. Gordon

Excellent, thanks for letting me know! Glad we got this resolved for you.