Intermittent dropouts when using Roon with Netgear Orbi

I am pretty sure all Roonians have their hands full with Roon 2.0 at this stage. But is there any official support response on this? My renewal date is creeping up with a dash of speed unfortunately.

Tagging @support in case it has been missed in among the beta and launch users.

2 Likes

Thank you for caring!

1 Like

Hi @Almero_Steyn,

We are in fact very busy with 2.0 but Iā€™ve got your back.

First I will preface that I expect issues with any device hardwired to any sort of mesh node that is not also hard wired. In my setup, both of my ASUS AiMesh routers are hardwired at either end of the house due to the high intranet demand Roon calls for.

That being said, Iā€™m happy to look at logging and diagnostics. Can you duplicate the issue for me? Iā€™d like to be able to identify a date/time/track that coincides with the problems youā€™re experiencing. Iā€™ve seen some odd things happen in logging for all kinds of software and hopefully we can shed some light!

Let me know. Iā€™ll follow up on any response from you with my findings.

Thanks,
Wes

2 Likes

Hi @Wes ,

thanks for getting back to me despite the pressure of supporting the new release.

This just supports what @CrystalGipsy said above. So I think before diving into logs I am going to attempt moving my Roon Core to the router today so that it is no longer attached to a satellite. If I can make the hardware fit I will run it like that and see what happens.

Should it happen again then we can investigate deeper but if it is a known issue from wiring into a satellite Iā€™d rather try your suggestion and not waste your time to most likely just confirm what you already suspect.

3 Likes

Hi Almero I never asked if you had a Tri band solution or a dual band in your Orbi.

With a Tri band I have never had Roon dropoutā€™s from having Roon plugged into a satellite even when streaming 24/192 and DSD256 (now my Sonos/Roon integration is a disaster due to this but that is a different story).

I used to sync my Synology over this Link and it would clock in about 800Mb constant throughout so it could be worth testing file copies from one to the other and see what your throughput looks like.

It makes sense to move it to the main router first and then build back out from there, but it does make me wonder if you have any channel interference on the tri band channel if that is the case.

1 Like

Yeah I have the tri band. It never used to give any issues. Perhaps as the software grew it reached critical mass on my network.

I doubt you could max the backhaul out without a fair number of zones transmitting a DSD256 upscaled.

Does your device allow you to change the backhaul channel, mine does not as it is the original model.

Worth trying it on the main router just to see if the problem goes away and if it doesnā€™t then that gives you something else to look at

1 Like

Hi @Almero_Steyn,

We are here to serve our fellow audiophiles so you are most welcome!

Please let me know how things go with moving your core. I really think this step will effect change in your current situation. If nothing else, itā€™s a great troubleshooting step to eliminate some of the possibilities!

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like

Ok after what feels like rearranging the whole house it is now connected to the router. Now it is wait and see.

2 Likes

@Almero_Steyn

Keep us posted! Enjoy your weekend.

Wes

Thank you, @Wes. Same to you and will do.

1 Like

Same problem here. Driving me nuts!

Same here!

My NUC8i5BEH is connected to my Orbi satellite. Drove me crazy, tried all possible settings and combinations. Finally I found a thing that worked for me, hopefully it does for anyone else too! Here it is:
Setup->Lan setup->RIP direction:both (had this on all the time) but I changed to this setting:
RIP version: RIP_2M. This setting was first disabled.
Roon is playing now for almost 2 hours without hickups. Keeping fingers crossed!

Unfortunately: didnā€™t workā€¦

OK guys as explained in another thread, I do not have this problem as my Roon works wonderfully on RAAT, Airplay and Chromecast devices linked via Ethernet to my Orbi Satellite over the dedicated backhaul channel. And has been for almost 4 years.

But I have major Sonos issues from this kind of Mesh setup, which have been driving me nuts and made me spend a large amount on new RAAT endpoints in the last year or so, replacing a few Sonos Zones.

So I have finally moved my Roon Core onto the main Orbi Mesh router and also put the Sonos Boost onto it as well (directly into the ethernet ports on the back). So now all devices are connected via Ethernet to the Mesh master it should in theory take all the issues away.

I will be honest and say I am not 100% convinced but worth giving it a go.
It should not change anything on Roon as that was already is happily playing 24/192, but if I can get reliable music everywhere else in the house then it would be worth it.
I will let you know how I get on.

1 Like

@Wes so far I have not had another dropout since moving the Core to the Orbi router.

Unfortunately due to the nature of the issue there is no way for me to be sure yet to know whether it was one of the quiet patches or if it has been solved.

But at least it is going the right direction for now.

Will keep you posted.

[EDIT] As the thread was closed before a final assessment could be done I will have to edit this.

Just had two more network drops on my Orbi with the Core wired into the Orbi Router. The issue is therefore still active.

3 Likes

Iā€™m glad to hear things are working! Enjoy your week.

Wes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.