Intermittent Playback Stops - Roon on Rock/NUC

Alright, another possibility is that a lot of new MAC addresses have been added to the subnet. We’re seeing in logs form your server disconnections like this:

11632: 05/02 09:15:56 Trace: [raat] [AURALiC ARIES_G2 @ 192.168.86.138:49302] => Disconnected
 11633: 05/02 09:15:56 Trace: [raat] [AURALiC ARIES_G2 @ 192.168.86.138:49302] lost client connection. Retrying
 11634: 05/02 09:15:56 Trace: [raat] [AURALiC ARIES_G2 @ 192.168.86.138:49302] connecting (attempt 1)
 11639: 05/02 09:15:56 Trace: [raat] [AURALiC ARIES_G2 @ 192.168.86.138:49302] => Connecting

In the last few weeks have you added new network devices to your LAN or changed any DHCP settings in your router?

Every so often, I the Aries does not show on the iPad app. What I do is to put the Aries in standby mode and then take it out. That works just about every time. I suspect that is what you are seeing on that date/time. I haven’t added any new devices in the last few weeks.

So the intermittent playback issue is not Roon-specific?

No, I’m not trying to play anything. Every so often the Aries disconnects from the app when it is not used for awhile. I had always had this problem. It’s not related.

To clarify… We have two issues going on. One issue is that the Aries disconnects occasional when not being used at night. When this occurs, the zone completely disappears from Roon and only comes back when it is brought down and back up. This has been the case for the past 3+ years. The other issue is a new one. The zone disappears during playing and then immediately comes back a few seconds later in to paused state. Hitting play will make the song continue where it left off. The problem has been happening for approximately 3 months intermittently. This second issue is the one I’m focused on.

I had quite a few failures from 8:00 PM - 9:15PM. They seemed different that the other ones. The zone disappeared and when they came back, it was positioned at the next song. A few of them were just the other one. I was listening to videos on YouTube and there was no interruption.

Can you tell me is drop occurring on the connection from Tidal to the server, or between the server and the Aires?

To diagnose this can you try playing some locally stored music?

Is there any pattern to this like it happening at the same time each time?

In the end, the long-term fix will be to simplify your network chain until it works and then add things back in until it stops working. Then we will know where the problem is.

I already had tried something that was local and I had the same problem. As for making it simple, the current setup is simpler than the one I started with. I moved the server into the same location as the at&t router.

As to whether there is a pattern to when it times out, there is none. It is totally random.

I’m wondering how Roon works. For example. I also have a Sonos system. When disconnect the wifi connection, play for about 15-20 seconds before stopping. If I reconnect the device before it stops, it recovers. How does Roon cover network errors? Is there buffering being done in the server? When get disconnect, why does it not try to reconnect? Is there any effort for recovering from network errors? (I have a feeling that the other apps have better recovery of network errors.)

Roon has a very robust ability to handle a certain amount of packet loss. However, if packet loss accumulates the buffer can’t keep up. The router is throttling ROCK’s allocated bandwidth and causing the dropouts. The endpoint cannot receive the full file so it disconnects instead of playing the broken file. Look at the quality of service options in your router or any other settings that may cause throttling.

If it’s packet loss, there should be a log of the loss from the sender, which I assume is the Roon server. At the present time, we are seeing errors from the server and the Aries. Where is the log for the Roon server requests to the local file system or to Tidal? Those requests must be timing out as well. If they are not occurring then the connection between to server and the Aries is the issue. We need to root cause the issue.

I noticed that since installing the latest update to the Roon software, I have not seen the problem. Is there a way to verify the changes in that update that may have addressed the problem?