Intermittently skips songs / Pauses playback / Out of sync interface / Possible Sonos issue?

You can have as solid a wireless connection as you want, but the latency of that connection will be far higher than a wired connection. I’m not trying to argue with you, just offering the time-tested suggestion that you’ll see in the Roon documentation. I’d suggest you try it, it’s a very minimal outlay (assuming you can locate your NUC near your router and new switch).

I lied. $15.

2 Likes

No, it is ok. You are giving great advice. It is something I should test.

2 Likes

I can reproduce a specific scenario I think. Testing right now.

• When I choose Sonos Streaming: one or multiple speakers sometimes drop.
  • When I choose AirPlay to the Sonos: everything is fine.

Also, adjusting volume seems to be a bit laggy whenever I am using the Sonos streaming protocol.

-edit-

Yes, speakers sometimes drop when Sonos Streaming is used. I can hear it with the stereo-pair.

Are you using Sonos net to group the speakers? I think many have had issues with this and Roon, when you switch to AirPlay it’s not relying on Sonos net so might explain why it works better.

@Michael_Harris has some good experience here.

1 Like

I use the Sonos app to create a stereo-pair. And then there is a separate speaker in the kitchen.

In Roon, I group the stereo-pair and the separate one together. Both when trying Sonos Streaming and AirPlay. Still, it might say something. Different technology.

Everything is on my Wi-Fi. I am not using Sonosnet.

Hi Eric there have been quite a lot of issues with SonosNet over the last 18 months.
These were mostly resolved several months ago for most people, but this was mostly related to Sonos dropping off the Roon network completely.

A lot of us were using Airplay to get around the issues (and this still works great), but you can go into the SonosNet based devices and limit them to 16/44 for grouping as I have found that works more reliably especially for the older devices which have WiFi B & G only.

I also had an old Boost in the house which I ended up plugging back in to the main Ethernet switch which helped with reliability. Finally I unplugged all the other Sonos devices from Ethernet and since this and the updates

2 Likes

Thank you Michael. Good to know!

For now, AirPlay towards Sonos has been rock steady.

Maybe I should stick with it.

2 Likes

I’ll still counsel the cheap switch, but yes the first role of all this stuff is “do what works, keep doing it, don’t mess with a good thing”. Good luck!

2 Likes

You are not alone with that.
From memory Sonos S2 devices By default go to 24/48 which a lot more data than 16/44 and my older devices struggled with that. 16/44 has been pretty much without issue after I changes them to that, as not all of my devices support Airplay.
Staying on Airplay is very reasonable decision and you do not really lose anything.

1 Like

Thanks @ericafterdark for linking my post. I have excellent WiFi signal and coverage throughout my home, but I have no interest in hard wiring my Sonos speakers. I will try AirPlay as suggested and see if there is any improvement.

Yes, please let us know. AirPlay solved all the issues for me.

So far, AIrPlay has solved the issue for all but one speaker. It’s a Playbar and will not use AirPlay so it continues to get out of sync. Thanks again for the suggestion.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.