Internet radio stops when network busy

roon Nucleus connected to wired LAN and USB to DAC

Sometimes my network does not respond fast enough.
Then roon stops playing the internet radio.
When I start it again it continues.

This does not seem to happen when playing Tidal.

It seems that the internet radio does not buffer as much as the Tidal streaming, or it gives up sooner if it has connection retry or delays.

In the same situation my Mac Mini just continues playing the same internet station.

Hi @Flere,

Thanks for your report. Can you please let me know:

• Which radio station this is and provide a link?
  • After approximately how much time does this behavior occur?
  • Note the exact local time in your country (ex. 5:31PM) that this issue occurs again?

Please let me know the above info and I can enable diagnostics mode for you account and take a look for any strange behavior under the hood.

– Noris

When I came home this evening at 19:00 CET I started roon internet playing.

http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s55196&formats=mp3,aac

In the next hour it happened a few times that the internet radio stopped playing and had to be restarted.

Stop playing means the play/pauze button switches from square to triangle and of course the music stops.

Also there is then a message above the bottom bar displayed which reads that the network seems to be unreachable and I need to check my network connection. Or something like that.

It happens sometimes also with other internet radio stations.

what are the DNS settings in the Nucleus web GUI?

I can send value by email.

Is there a way to change the Nucleus DNS setting?

Yes you can set in the web page GUI. There is no secret for dns numbers try 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1

OK. Thanks.
But I am not very well into the networking stuff.
I can only set the DNS if I choose fixed IP.
Should I just fill in the number which are shown now, and only set the DNS to 1.1.1.1

Set the IP address to fixes as the same number it now…maybe key that reservation in your router too if you can. Add your router address and the 2 dns I mentioned all on one line with spaces between the 3 sets of numbers

Warning…messing this up can mean you might disable internet access on the Nuc and perhaps have to reinstall

Suggest you screen print your settings before you change anything so we can advice what’s most likely and your router model etc

I just noticed your on nucleus…so seek help from your nucleus supplier…that what you pay them for

@Flere - Please don’t set a static IP for your Nucleus, this could cause some issues with being able to connect again if the IP is wrong or changes

Thank you for confirming the above information, I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers.

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

While we are reviewing diagnostics on our end, can you please let me know the model/manufacturer of your router, model/manufacturer of any switches, range extenders, powerline adapters, ect?

– Noris

This happens to me all the time on my crappy DSL network. I suspect that this is more of a global product issue than an individual support issue. My fix is to use Apple TV for radio when my DSL is congested. Apple TV always reestablishes the connection during network congestion and the content resumes again automatically after buffering. Roon just drops it and requires manual intervention.

That is also my view on the situation.
The apps on my Mac seem to buffer more and also auto resume once the connection is re-established.
Roon just stops and requires manual intervention.

Dear noris
Thanks for the support.
The problem did not occur.
The moment it happens again I will note the timestamp and let you know.

1 Like

It just happened two times in a row now.

Hello @Flere,

Thanks for letting me know that the issue occurred again. I checked the diagnostics from the Nucleus and it appears that your network went down as well when the dropout occurred, can you please provide some more information regarding your networking gear here?

• What is the model/manufacturer of your router, switches, any powerline/range extenders, ect?
  • How is the Nucleus connected to the network?
  • Is it connected directly to the router or is it going through a switch?
  • What is your internet upload/download speed?

Thanks,
Noris

The nucleus is connected to a switch which is connected to the router which is connected to the Telekom glassfiber modem.
What happens is very simple, sometimes the internet does not respons for a few seconds.
I do not know why not and the Deutsche Telekom is not very helpful in getting this resolved.
My Mac internet playing via other apps is going fine with this, they seem to buffer enough and at least keep on reconnecting and keep on playing.

But ROON, whether on the Mac as I had before, or on the Nucleus now, just stops the internet radio station whoever there is a hick-up in the connection.

Why does Roon not just buffer more and/or just reconnect and then continuous playing.

That I have a drop out I can live with as this is due to the Telekom situation but that Roon just stops the playing instead of continuing is very annoying.

I think the drop outs are due to the maximum speed limitation handling by Telekom.

Hi @Flere,

Thanks for letting me know that info, but can you specify the model/manufacturer of the router and switch? We have seen a few routers and switches require special settings to be applied to them to function properly with Roon, maybe your router is part of this category and I can suggest some changes here.

As for the buffering request you mention, I will bring this up with the team but at this time, I can’t comment on any changes that will occur in the future although it has been noted. Do let me know the model/manufacturer of the networking gear when you have a chance.

Thanks,
Noris