Introducing RoPieee - A RoonBridge-to-go image for the Raspberry Pi

Nope, not all. wireless is disabled, i’ve disabled HDMI in the release I just put out. Need to look into the camera led, as I think that’s not necessary at all (the driver for the camera isn’t loaded).

1 Like

Cool, thanks Harry

@dabassgoesboomboom
Just here to say a very big thank you.
Got my first ever Raspberry Pi today. Very painless loading your image with subsequent auto downloading and configuring Roon bridge.
Now my audio setup is completely divorced from my pc (except for the server of course).

2 Likes

Happy to hear you’re enjoying it @kayo

But I’m just a fan like you!

@spockfish (Harry) is the man to thank ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also have a spare Rpi3 with 7" touch screen looking for something useful to do.

Thanks for all the work Harry.

1 Like

I got 2 more Pi’s the other day with perhaps one going into my VinShine R2R DAC with I2S for DSD 256 and the other maybe into the Analogue Signal Processor (ASP.4) on my www.linkwitzlab.com LX521.4 setup in the throws of being finished (but might get into the basic ASP build I have now too).

RoPieee is much easier to setup for anyone with little techie expertise - tho DietPi does have more available for the tinkerer - I use both, but I would side with Harry’s build for simplicity and hands off use.

Im looking forward to the 7" LCD support but hope it won’t overly complicate the build of the OS for set and forget stand alone endpoint operation.

2 Likes

Hi guys,

Quick update from this side. I’ve got everything running for the display: so basically it works. Right now I’m testing and refining it. That’s the good news. The ‘not-so-good’ news is that I’m not satisfied with the performance of the application so I need to profile it. That will take some time, hopefully I’m able to do that during the weekend and figure out what’s going on. I’m still optimistic that things turn out ok in the end, it just takes a little bit more time :wink:

BR

4 Likes

Slow and steady wins the race Harry. No rush at all.
I’m sure I can speak for all when I saw we appreciate your efforts

Impressive.I may look at this instead of my Picore/Jivelite combo.

Hi guys,

A small update tonight: this update introduces the possibly to use an audio HAT and USB in parallel. I believe both @duncan and @Jose_de_los_Santos we’re looking for such a feature.

As always this change will be pulled in automatically the coming 24 hours. If you can’t wait just reboot the RoPieee and wait for 30 minutes or so.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Excellent and thank you.

Just rebooted my Pi :relaxed:

Great, thanks!

Um, wouldn’t this be needed if we wanted to do multichannel audio into an AVR?

I was wondering my self why he decided to turn HDMI off. Is not bad to have.

Simple guys: noise reduction. Right now the HDMI serves no functionality in RoPieee, and as such can be shut off. If at any time int he future RoPieee needs HDMI again then it will be enabled again of course.

2 Likes

Fair enough, but how much noise reduction does turning off HDMI deliver, and, more importantly, can we (or more precisely, would I) be able to hear the difference in SQ?

Well, I can’t, so this is a matter of ‘it won’t hurt’. Again, right now the HDMI port on a RoPieee does literally nothing, so nothing changes for the users.

2 Likes

Absolutely New on RoonBridge. This Link is excellent one. I was trying to look for RPi3, i see SD Card pre-loaded with NOOBS OS. Should this be ignored ? or alternatively, take SD Card, delete everything on it and download “Ropiee” ?

or simply go seperates RPi3 + power cord + SD-card etc

Get the noobs card with it as it’s probably a cheaper package that way. You need at least a 2gb card anyway so the 16gb (normally) noobs card will be fine.

Then blow away the hoods image with the ropieee one. Noobs comes with an SD card adapter too

You should probably buy the rpi power supply 2.5a too

its a good deal i m getting locally. It includes power supply, SD Card, a transparent (sic) case… SD card is 16GB.