Introducing RoPieee - A RoonBridge-to-go image for the Raspberry Pi

Guys,

Small update on the touchscreen front:

i’ve managed to tackle the performance issues, so right now the stuff required for a first release seems in place. Next thing is to get a beta image in place that people can try out and get some feedback.

This will take some time though, as I also need to extend the web page with some (2) settings for the touchscreen support.

Of course this requires a photo :wink:

7 Likes

Does it have a screen saver clock while not playing :sunglasses:

1 Like

Very nice work!:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

nope. all those things are not in place. those will follow, therefore it will be released as a beta.

1 Like

Looking awesome Harry. One step nearer to a RAAT endpoint for me.

1 Like

@CrystalGipsy no need to wait for the LCD interface to be working go for ropieee now it’s a great solution

Very true.

But a few people are looking for a Squeezebox Touch replacement though, one that supports RAAT which finally allows grouped zones with other RAAT endpoints.

Harry’s steady progress is looking fantastic.

Exactly. I have 2 pi’s with touchscreens that would be completely redundant with the current version.

1 Like

Picoreplayer is already a Squeezebox ready endpoint with a display, but not RAAT unless you go in and add the roon bridge install, but neither is out of the box ready.

If Harry can pull off the sb and add the display then great, but id still like a clock when it’s not playing. Mine is setup in a bedroom with IQAudIo digiamp+ hat and when picoreplayer messes up the display doesn’t dim and the clock is too bright

Goodmornin’ all.

A small update for RoPieee is available: it adds support for the @allo.com new DigiOne HAT.
Small disclaimer: as I don’t own a DigiOne board I’ve not been able to actually test it so… it would be great if someone can confirm this.

As usual this update will be pulled in somewhere the next 24 hours.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Thanks. The board will only start shipping in a week.

I just got RoPieee running on a RPi 3.
I managed to buy a (new) Meridian Explorer 2 for 155 euro. :slight_smile:
Bought it online from a brick and mortar shop. It will be delivered tomorrow.
I hope is is a genuine ME2 for that price. :confused:

I need to sort out my WLAN issue as well.
Currently I have WLANs with subnets that are different from my LAN.
I use a WatchGuard XTM25 firewall and WatchGuard AP100 and AP300 access points.
I hope my IT service provider can create a Roon WLAN in the same subnet as my LAN.

Keep in mind: RoPieee does not support wireless network connections.

That seems to be the current going price since Meridian’s promo has reached mainland Europe:

This is from the Dutch distributor’s price list – I guess you’re good. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know. The RPi is wired but I need the WLAN for my Android Roon Remote devices.

RoPieee beta release with touchscreen support

Hi,

I’m happy to announce the availability of the first beta image with touchscreen support. With ‘touchscreen support’ I mean support for the original Raspberry Pi Foundation 7 inch display.

So what will you get? RoPieee as usual, but on top of that a touch sensitive UI to control the RoPieee/Roon endpoint with the usual controls. The interface is fairly minimal at this point with stuff missing (the playing/remain time being the most obvious one), but I wanted to get a few other testers on the basic stuff before I continue. A simple screensaver is implemented as well: after 10 minutes inactivity of the endpoint (as in: not playing audio) it will blank.

What do you need to do? Not much more than usual with RoPieee. Just insert the SD card, wait for a few minutes. You can check if the installation process is completed by either checking RoPieee’s web page (ropieee.local), or wait for the green led to blink with a 1s interval. The installation process itself will take longer than usual, as RoPieee is fetching the graphical stack upon detection of a touchscreen. So to be clear: touchscreen detection only works at installation time. So applying a touchscreen to an already running RoPieee will not work.

The next thing that you need to do is configure the touchscreen on RoPieee’s web page. For this there are 2 parameters: first the orientation (depending on how you’ve constructed things the screen can be ‘upside down’), second the Roon zone which is represented by the RoPieee. Finally, you need to enable the 'RoPieee Remote Control 'extension in Roon itself (go to ‘Settings --> Extensions’ and enable it). If all went well you can now control your RoPieee endpoint from the touchscreen!

Disclaimer: this is beta software. It has only been tested on a Raspberry Pi 3.

Where to go from here? I know there’s quite some functionality missing. So please don’t flood this thread with a list of features that you’re missing, because I’m already missing a lot myself :wink:

But first things first. I’m interested what people think of it in general by actually playing with it.

Download link: here

Let’s play!

6 Likes

Stuck at work so need to try this. Well done Harry keep up the good work.

OK trying to install this now and after the first reboot its hanging during the migrate datablocks phase. It says not enough space to migrate blocks trydo defragment:Skip. There is some other stuff about logging in but I cant do that as its not got an Ip yet. The SD card is 64gb as its the only spare one I had so plenty of space.

Any ideas?

I haven’t had a chance to try this yet as it was still downloading when i went to bed. not sure I will get time to play before I have to get on a plane in 48 hours time either. Im using it on a 4GB and 8GB cards.

I guess one option is to try one of the older image files and see if that boots up at all.

After being one of the first to nag Harry about this I am super delighted to be the first to post pics of Ropieee with Touchscreen support working fantastically !

Super job Harry.

I’m not using a HAT at the moment - just using it as a Roon Remote with Artwork for now. I’ll test it with a HiFiBerry Digi+ PRO later though.

As Harry requested, I won’t be posting any ‘feature requests’. As he said, they’re probably already on his list too.

Fantastic first step Harry. The artwork changes super quickly with track changes and the controls work flawlessly for me.

Hey @danny or @brian - is any chance the Roon API could include audio information that might one day allow a VU meter to be used with RAAT? Just a request that may help with really cool projects like this @spockfish

1 Like