Introducing RoPieee - A RoonBridge-to-go image for the Raspberry Pi

Interesting. It disappeared after a while. It’s a 5V at 2.5amps iFi iPower which is plenty of power, even for keyboard, mouse, USB drives etc (obviously none of those are obviously attached for dad’s Pi for Roon)

Oh well, I don’t think that’s your problem to worry about but I’ll tell dad to keep an eye on it.

One thing though is maybe Ropieee’s bootup code, uses more power than other RoonBridge images?

I did note a few weeks ago, above, that my Uptone LPS-1 failed to bootup and install Ropieee Touchscreen - whereas previously it was fine with PicorePlayer (with Touchscreen) and DietPi.

Just an observation. I wonder if Ropieee needs close to 2.5 amp just for bootup. I don’t have the means to measure though.

Thatz the display indicating low power. You may need a separate psi from the display to get around that.

Thanks mate. As per above, a 5V 1.1amp was able to power the same Pi, same Touchscreen and same HAT attached, with PiCorePlayer (and DietPi even though the touchscreen didn’t show anything useful)

But the 5V 1.1amp PSU failed to boot up Ropieee for the install - I made that observation some weeks ago but didn’t think much of it. The 2.5amp power supply was fine for the Ropieee install. Now it’s showing the charging symbol during playback, but it disappeared after a while.

Something tells me the Ropieee code may be more power hungry, based on above and earlier observations I’ve posted…Especially for bootup and initial moments of playback.

Not a big drama but just obersvations. It would be interesting if someone could measure peak and continious current draw with Ropieee touchscreen - I don’t have the means sadly.

I too am using an iFi 5v 2.5amp power supply with a RPi3 no hat and see the lightening flash sometimes. It always goes away though

1 Like

I’m using a 19V 3A SMPS supplied by IQAudio along with the DigiAMP+ hat and never have seen the charging icon ever.

When you reboot you must see the large top to bottom square rainbow square image before the boot up code starts.

If it looks like this is good

but this is not good

I’m trying this now…contents via PM

You need 2.5a minimum really especially if using rpi3 and a display that’s hows mines configured for my hifiberry digi+ pi3 combined. Loop out of the USB on the display into the Pi. For my Amp+ Pi 2 combi 18v for amp and Pi, separate 5v 2a for the display.

I’ve heard some bad reviews of the Ifi psu. I just use the official psu and have no issues. Saw some in depth audiophile review of Pi with hat and touchscreen and having supposedly better psu than stock made no difference. Horses for courses though always thought these expensive psu options are just a placebo myself. :slight_smile:

Harry I know currently you have a lot on, but could you possibly look to include support for librespot to allow Spotify playback in the future? Whilst I use e Tidal for most of my streaming needs its library is way behind that of Spotify. There is so much old stuff that I can’t find on Tidal that is available on Spotify. It’s just a shame they won’t allow Roo integration.

Hi mate, as mentioned earlier, not sure I agree - I had the same Pi3 + 7" screen + HiFiBerry HAT powered by a single 5V 1.1amp PSU for 12 months and had no issues. The current draw (even on boot) is typically very very low.

If 1.1amp wasn’t enough it would never have booted.

And I know a few others on this forum using the same 1.1amp power supply for Pi3 + Screen + HAT without issues.

It may be thin power cables (in this case the splitter cable from single PSU) causing a small voltage drop - not a current issue, which explains my experience with a 1.1amp PSU:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=159679

But it was the same splitter cable used with PiCorePlayer so it’s a bit strange, which makes me think Ropieee perhaps uses more power, especially on boot-up, as per earlier observations too.

I’ll try a thicker wire splitter cable.

The screen only uses ~650mA at 5V which explains why 1.1amp was enough to power Pi3 + Screen + HiFiBerry HAT with PiCorePlayer

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=128234&p=857722#p857722

I’m not sure what you exactly mean. But this has nothing to do with the update mechanism.
As stated: feedback works now because there was an issue with my infrastructure.

Thanks,

It’s a holiday here tomorrow so in the morning I will send feedback via the command line so I can see that it has gone. If it’s as per usual the screen will be hung with only 3 buttons and the extension will be missing from roon settings. Normally the only way to recover as I noted is to shutdown, power recycle and then reboot. I will be very sure to make notes at each step :smiley:

ok. there’s no need to send feedback via the command-line, the button is working now.

1 Like

Sorry Harry :blush: , I didn’t see any positive confirmation that the button was actually working…other than you had found some issue you never confirmed it was all good…anyway at least it gave me some idea of the time it takes to tarball the results so that I can at some point take some remedial reboot/powerup again.

@spockfish A couple of things that might be good to have…no pressure :smiley:

Is it possible to have the LCD (optionally) display the Roon Zone that is currently being shown?

A vertical volume slider (perhaps optionally) ? This one might have been mentioned before :blush:

A default restart volume level option - my ears are still ringing :stuck_out_tongue:

And a note that the LCD is working fine off a ROCK setup…but still having too go thru some reboots to get it to come up without the 3 button 1:12=====4:23 displayed and listed in the extensions.

I have the DigiAMP+ HAT unselected now and just running it as a display for now With my new Denafrips Ares DAC that is running off a different Ropieee image that is running just fine upsampled to DSD256. Very happy with the ropieee performance so far I must say.

@dabassgoesboomboom do you have one or more Roon core’s?

I really can’t reproduce it. I’ve seen that at least @wizardofoz is running 2 cores, so I’m curious at your setup.

oh no :cry: @spockfish

I have almost the simplest chain possible. Only 1 core

Surface Pro 4 Roon Core > ethernet to Router > ethernet to PS Audio DirectStream with Bridge II RoonReady endpoint

Single core, no WiFi involved

I can even reproduce it where my core is also my endpoint (I tried that last week too)

I have 2 cores running most of the time. I only have the extension enabled on one currently ROCK but im happy to test both cores active together if you like.