Introducing RoPieee - A RoonBridge-to-go image for the Raspberry Pi

Ok Sean. Would be great if we can ‘zoom’ into this. Because you have a very simple setup, that looks like mine (except your beautiful DirectStream :smiley: ) and I can’t reproduce it. And leaving out multiple core’s makes figuring out this bug at least somewhat easier.

So… do you use a RPi2 or 3?

1 Like

Pi 3 Model B

Happy for you to zoom in. What does this involve?

I also just added a HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro board today, just so I can test future versions. That way I can try to help my old man with troubleshooting remotely if he has any issues with any future releases.

But all these power cycle issues have been happening with no HAT attached these past few weeks.

ok.

So: Pi3 without HAT.

1 turn it off via ‘shutdown’ on the ropieee web page
2 pull the power plug
3 boot the Pi again
4 no complete screen, no control

This is fixed by performing a ‘reboot’ from the ropieee web page.

Correct?

Yes that’s correct

Same here. In addition to control not working the extension is not listed, probably one issue there, but the devices / hats are showing in audio devices so the ropieee is seen just not the extension

ok @sean, can you confirm that you have the same as what @wizardofoz is saying? That at point 4, the extension is also not visible in Roon?

Yes exactly the same - extension not visible in Roon when I have this bug.

It’s fixed by the Ropiee.local page ‘reboot’ though (extension comes back in Roon)

I feel like you’re close Harry. I have great faith in you lol

ok…

And in one of those cases have you attempted to leave it on for a period of time? So we can be sure that it will not recover from this state by itself?

No but I can try that right now. It’s easy for me to produce this bug. I’ll leave it on and come back and report

Mine restarts at 5am, and I’m often still not seeing the extension and also the 1:12===4:23 time screen many hours later…at least 4+ or more

Ok see attached. Here is everything in one photo. Roon is playing to the DirectStream and no extensions show and the 1:12 screen

I’ll leave it like this for a while

1 Like

ok. would be greet though if you smash the ‘feedback’ button without rebooting it.
then I have the logfiles of this state.

I’ve just hit smash on the feedback button ! You now owe me a new mouse !! :laughing:

Btw the log I sent you previously was this exact same state, on the last activity before I hit ‘feedback’

So I’ve sent feedback in the current state and will leave everything playing as is, and see if the screen comes back to life after some time

1 Like

Ok the display has now turned off , as expected of course. Roon continues to play of course

ok. this get’s interesting. you’ve got some kind of ‘different’ network setup. as in: the ropieee extension is running, but i don’t see the the discovery working out (the extension tries to discover Roon core’s on your network).

So how does your network look like? because I see 2 networks (10.0.x.x and 192.168.x.x) with multiple DNS servers.

Heh? Me or wizard?

I hope wizard because I have no idea what you’re asking me.

I have one network. Just one AirPort Extreme router. SP4 > Airport Extreme > DirectStream DAC

Ropieee is plugged into the same AirPort Extreme

AirPort Extreme has 3 LAN ports - one is SP4, one is Ropieee and the other is my printer lol

I don’t even have the WiFi on, WiFi is disabled

Obviously the AirPort Extreme is plugged into the modem - nothing else is plugged into the modem.

no you!

hehe. that’s the interesting part here! i mean, i’m looking at your log, and certainly wizard doesn’t have a directstream :wink:

so here’s the thing: itself it certainly explains why you see what you see. what I don’t get is how we got here. This might be a nasty timing issue, where depending on a cold boot vs warm boot (shutdown vs reboot) the network is not properly setup, resulting in the extension not being able to discover a core.

This is weird.

LOL hmmm weird indeed.

Roon playback is NEVER an issue…

And the Ropieee reboot fixes it so how can it be that the network is not properly setup?

It always gets fixed after one reboot for me. I don’t need to try multiple reboots - one is enough.

The screen hasn’t come back to life yet, it’s still off after 30 minutes now

The thing is wizard and Geoff reported this 1:12 screen too and both reported a reboot fixes it.

So it can’t be only my poor old simple network :cry: lol

Screen will stay off, that’s the screen saver. And I’m 100% sure that it will not recover from this state.

So just to be sure: could you browse to this address: 10.0.1.1