Introducing the Sonore opticalModule Deluxe

But not if your are using a Cisco switch. Finisar does not offer Cisco compatible transceivers - that’s what I have been told. Strange that they are promoting a product on their web-site that is not compatible with Cisco. But I am not a transceiver expert :slight_smile:

I don’t know the Finisar product portfolio - but there are enough SFP vendors out there providing an opportunity to improve sound quality versus standard SFPs.

1 Like

The Linn Selekt is of impeccable quality as far as I have seen.

It’s always easier to start with a clean signal then to filter noise from a dirty one.

How would you evaluate things when in a similar setup (with an audiophile switch in form of the EtherRegen and the new Sonore Optical Module Deluxe V2 all powered by Farad Super3) instead of the LINN there is a fanless NAS (QNAP HS-453DX with SSDs) ?
I got the LUMIN U2 Mini (also with upgrade of Farad Super3) as a streamer before my Devialet amp&DAC though some say when the root of audio (ROON Server in this case) is to much involved with noise etc. things don’t get nearly any better downstream?

Many larger network maker’s want to make a large markup on fiber transceivers so they can charge 10x the market rate for them. They put microcode in the switch firmware and then license that out to people who want to sell in their ecosystem.

Many years ago HP put out an update without warning that took several of my Networks down as they cut off all 3rd part sfp vendor’s at the time. It was a disaster and many people stopped buying HP switches at that time (including me).

In theory all SFP devices should be standard and should work, in practice you have to find supported modules.

1 Like

@Michael_Harris . I did find a standard SFP that works fine with my current setup:

As @Markus_Hubner did post this comment:

I thought, let’s have a closer look. On SGC web site it says:

“The industry leading Finisar SFP module works well with Sonore systemOptique Certified products. Although many different types of fiber and SFP transceivers work with Sonore products we recommend OM1 type multi-mode fiber with LC connectors for all systemOptique certified products.”

But Finisar SFP would not work with a Cisco switch. Would have been nice, if SGC would have mentioned that on the page.

1 Like

They get enough versions that work with the Meraki / Cisco etc.
It‘s amazingly worth trying out.

There are literally 1000s of companies that makes Ethernet switches and SFPs. We can not keep track of all the different versions and what works with what.

Even if we had the manpower to try all the possible combination it would require pages and pages to publish the results.

This is why we have systemOptique certification. All systemOptique devices work together. We have tested them and guarantee compatibility.

Cisco is doing the same thing. They guarantee all their products work together and don’t support products made by other companies. In some cases their products even block a product from another manufacturer but not always.

If you want everything to work use systemOptique certified products. That way you know everything will work and sound great. You also have the option of doing some trial and error and seeing what works for you. Just make sure you are using products of the same type for example OM1 products work with other OM1 products but not OM3 products. OM3 is literally a different laser frequency!

1 Like

OM1 and early OM2 are based on LED transmission. OM3 and later use VCSEL (laser) transmission.