iOS 16.5 appears to break Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter

I haven’t updated my phone yet, but saw this last night. The article links to an Apple Support Community thread as well were the specific issue was the loss of connection to an external dac.

If you’re a frequent ARC user via an external dac on an iPhone, might be best to hold off. I would imagine/hope Apple would address this quickly with a 16.5.1 release given the photography angle of the adapter. I don’t think us external dac users represent a huge number of individuals, but that’s certainly an assumption on my part. No idea if this is a universal bug or just affecting some users - be careful out there!

4 Likes

Hmm, I love the challenge.

Updating now.

Don’t use my iPhone currently as my daily phone.

Will report back with confirmation shortly.

1 Like

YOLO :rofl:

The Apple CCK adapter is the only thing I can use with my Mojo 1 and iPhone 13 Pro. The other OTG cables have not worked for me in a long time. Bloody :apple:

1 Like

Update:

Pleased to say my iPhone 14+ is now on iOS 16.5 and with the lightning to USB (with charging lightning port) all works with my Dragonfly Cobalt.

Tested with 16/44.1 up to 24/96 and works as normal.

YMMV, so update at your own risk my fellow Roonies.

5 Likes

@kneville Thanks for the heads up matey.

Let me update too and see what happens. Be right back :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh wait… is this affecting only the big adapter - the one with two ports?

I only have the single one.

Mine is the one claimed to have the issue. It works for me.

MacRumors by name, rumors by nature I find.

1 Like

I’m trying it out with the single one anyways. Have not updated phone in a while so might as well do it.

1 Like

As Nike says, just do it!

Live life on the edge with iOS updates :rofl:

1 Like

Phew, just checked my photos. Needed to make sure my hairy legs weren’t on show. Shorts weather today.

1 Like

Thanks @kneville

We appreciate the heads up.

Thankfully for me, with the affected lightning to usb adaptor, it all works. :+1:

2 Likes

13 Pro on 16.5 with Apple CCK working in this configuration.

3 Likes

@RBO

I’m very proud of you. Now your Justin Bieber collection can still be listened to on the move. :+1:

Also thanks for sharing your setup works on iOS 16.5

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up. I think I’ll wait a while before updating, as I will use my Mojo on holiday in a few weeks. I have an iPhone Xs, and there’s at least one report for this phone.

3 Likes

@RBO

Which iPhone model is yours?

IIRC, iOS 14.7 had similar reports of this but I am sure I was never affected. I’ve used CCKs for a long time and never had issues.

Post edited as forum user below does have the issue.

13 Pro.

I also have a micro usb to lightning OTG cable which has never worked with the 13 but works with older models. Shame really since it was a much cleaner solution to using the mojo with the 13 pro.

I hate the dongle life :triumph:

Edit: added the 13 Pro bit to my previous post for others.

I have two CCKs and both went kerplunk on 16.5 for me. No joy on a 14 Pro and older iPad Pro. I have an M2 iPad Pro that was able to see the HDMI/USB-A/USB-C connector fine.

I hope a patch comes soon for those of us affected.

Hi Robert, do you think this might be State side?

Do apple release multi region iOS updates.

I’ll try the Wife’s 14 pro, daughter’s 11 and also our spare 8 and iPad Mini 5s

Good question but not sure. I am in the US and saw the MacRumors article only this morning. When I ran into problems last night I didn’t see as many reports online, so this seems to be a developing issue. I recommend updating only one device at a time and see what happens. I can live with the issue until a patch is issued but this is a really odd miss by Apple.

1 Like