iOS - glitches with ui and app stops working after inactivity (iPhone 13, iPad 12, others) [Investigating]

@Ralf_Ortmanns would you mind adding your voice to this thread that Roon are investigating this behaviour the more we can show it’s not isolated as they think the better.

I’ll post anything new in that thread, I didn’t know it existed.

1 Like

I exactly have same problem with iPhone 14 Pro Max iOS 17.2.2 and also with iPad Pro 12.9.

I am using iPadOS 17.3 beta and have experienced the same problems, however I think it’s a more general issue affecting numerous apps…

edit: having made my comment, above, it does seem that roon is certainly suffering more than any other app i.e. dropping control to the server. (iPad Pro 12.9).

1 Like

If you have the identical issue and run a Mac OSX core you might try turning off wifi on the core machine, possibly worth trying with other core OS but I can’t confirm anything other than osx. I turned off wifi and haven’t had the problem since. I was finding that the connection to the server was using wifi for connections to my NAS and also some clients were using wifi even though there was a 10Gb Ethernet connection. I had wifi turned off previously and I’m sure OSX updates were turning wifi back on. It doesn’t seem to matter what order the network connections are in it still uses wifi. Apple just can’t do networking or can’t be bothered, they’d rather tweak screen saver.

I should add that where my Mac osx server is located the wifi connection is really poor, it’s not a spot in the house where I need wifi.

Thank You. I have activated dark mode and… my problem is solved!

Note: if I desactive wifi, I can no longer drive the core with my iPhone.

Wireless connectivity would usually be handled by your WiFi-Router, not your Roon server, so turning WiFi off there should still work.

I think what was happening in my case was the communication between my NAS, where my music is stored and my core, in the Mac min M2pro were reverting to wifi in a location where wifi was very poor. Instead of getting a nice 10Gb data connection there was a flakey wifi connection.

All this is just conjecture at this time but the issue hasn’t reoccurred since I turned wifi off on the core. I don’t think windows does this, it seems to preference Ethernet but Apple preference wifi no matter what they say. I know this to be the case with me because as soon as I turned wifi off all the mapped shares to my NAS dropped out/

Not sure that would change a thing. Mine is in dark mode and still has the same intermittent issues same as many others.

Started to happen again only been home half an hour. For the record iOS hidden WiFi address is off as it always is.

You’re right, sketchy app behaviour has returned on iPhone 13 (Roon app frozen after wake vs eg Mac osx app running fine from wake)

1 Like

Many bugs in Roon since 12 monthes. I have canceled the renew of my subscription for April 2024.
I now test Audirvāna.
Very sorry. I had liked Roon much for several years.

1 Like

For the first time using this app for some years, I am experiencing indefinite hangs and interaction failure attempting to control Roon from iOS and iPadOS. For example, a song is playing on the core, but the volume cannot be adjusted from the app on the phone because the app will not take input. It is as though I am not tapping the screen at all. Waiting does not clear the problem, but restarting the app does.

This is happening across two phones and an iPad, for the last several weeks. I’m on iOS 17.2.1 with the latest release installed, Roon 2.0 build 1357.

1 Like

Hey @Simon_Arnold3,

Closing this thread for housekeeping, but we’re revisiting these iOS-related posts and not abandoning your ongoing report.

1 Like