iPad Loses Connection to Core Every 30 Seconds

I have a similar issue with iPad Pro as a Remote. Every 30 seconds or so, it’s losing connection to the Core, and immediately thereafter reestablishes it, so it looks like screen refresh except Roon goes into last “known state” every time this happens (occasionally Roon crashes all-together).

• Playback is not affected

• Android Remote not affected when this happens; it works without any issues. Taking it off network does not help

• Core works without any issues, no error messages appear

• Firewall or virus protection is off

• Reinstalling or restarting Roon does not help

• Power cycling does not help

Core
Win 10 Pro 64 bit (v. 1703/b. 15063.296)/ Roon v1.6 (416)

Remote
iPad Pro 11 OS v 12.4.1/ Roon v1.6 (416)

Network
Router ORBI Netgear/all devices are on the same network/all devices except remotes are wired to the router e.g. Core and two NAS drives/Core outputs to NuPrime DAC-10 via USB/“Disable IGMP Proxying” is unchecked

Hi @Jan_Avramov,

I have split your post since your symptoms seem a bit different than the previous thread. Just to make sure I am understanding you correctly here, the iPad is losing connection every 30 seconds with normal usage? As in you are not locking the screen or exiting the app? If you have other iOS devices such as an iPhone, does this issue occur there as well? Is your Orbi using the newest router firmware available?

Hi @noris,

iPad is my only iOS device and router is running latest firmware.
All this is happening during normal Roon use. Not related to any specific
action on the Roon.

Initial iPad connection is quick and drop out (and back in) is not
affecting playback.

Regards,

Jan A.

Hi @Jan_Avramov,

Thanks for clarifying. Have you tried reinstalling the Roon app on the iPad yet? I would give this a try next. Also, if you can verify what the behavior is like on another Roon Remote such as a PC or even an Android remote, it would be a good data point to have.

Hi @noris,

Yes, reinstalled Roon on the iPad few times but no joy. Other Roon Remotes do not have this problem. Galaxy S9 phone and (very old and slow) Android tablet work without a glitch.

Hi @Jan_Avramov,

Thanks for confirming this behavior only occurs on the iPad. Are there any differences between the iPad and the Android remotes?

Do you have enough free space left on the iPad? Are you using any VPNs or network-shaping tools on the iPad? Is the iPad connected to a different Orbi node than the Android devices?

@noris
All devices connected to the same ORBI node. Nothing “funny” running on the iPad, it is brand new 256GB out of the box, eg. no VPN etc. Roon is the only new app downloaded.

Don’t know what you mean by differences between iPad and Android remotes? Windows based remote also works perfectly.

Hi @Jan_Avramov,

Thanks for confirming that info. I would next like to take a look at diagnostics from your iPad to see if we can gather more information surrounding this issue. Can I please ask you to let me know the exact local time + date in your country when this behavior next occurs (e.g. 3:17PM on 9/16/19) and then ask you to manually send me the logs from your Core by using these instructions? The best way to get them over to me would be via a shared Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com link. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.