iPad Roon remote has trouble showing artwork

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows10/Roon 1.7 (Build 710)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Renderer: Bricasti M12, Ethernet

Description Of Issue
@support
I am controlling the core with an iPad, that has Roon remote installed. The iPad is connecting to my home network via wifi.

While the artworks work fine on the core running on my Windows 10 machine, recently the remote on the iPad often blanks the artwork.

Happens in all lists, or when I view an album.

Hello @csendes_alpar, if you clear cache in Roon does this help? Also, is this the only remote with this behavior?

Hi @nuwriy , I have tried clearing the cache several times, also have played with different cache sizes, but things did not improved. I have/use only one remote.

Hey @csendes_alpar, how about clearing the app cache on the iPad?

@nuwriy Nothing seem to help, and I was hoping that in 1.8 things get fixed. Things get even worse. I rarely get the cover pictures and other pictures of the artists. It is extremely annoying. Several times I have cleared and reinstalled the roon-remote on my iPad. Almost immediately I face with missing pictures. Well, I think it is a bug, and nothing can be done on my side. In order to give you guys some clues to fix this (I am a software developer too):

In my roon-core (on my Windows PC) the pictures are immediately there, I see no problem. Even if I am browsing for a new album, that cannot be yet in the local cache.

I have more than 800 albums in my library, so I suspect that this might cause the image-cache mechanism struggle due to memory limits on the iPad, though I checked the memory and about 8G is still not used, so may be that roon-remote has a built in arbitrary limit for memory usage -earlier version of roon-remote allowed you to set a limit like this!!!-. I guess such limits are not a problem on a PC, running the roon-core. I suspect that cache maintenance algorithms can also be at fault, for example due to slow searches of the cache combined with time-limitations of the searches, that in turn may not enable to finish the searches, finally providing no picture.

I think that the roon-remote could use the roon-core as a service for those pictures, since they are connected. At least as a fallback mechanism roon-remote should use roon-core to fetch pictures out of roon-core’s cache. Why not?

Please do something, it is killing me!

-Alpar

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.