iPad screen bizarre orientation

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS/System76 Jackal 1U rack mount server Xeon v6 4-core 3.6 GHz 16GB RAM/Roon 1.7-537

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

UniFi managed network

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Not applicable here

Description Of Issue

I use my iPad as a remote control. My iPad is locked into portrait mode. 90% of the time when I start the Roon app, it “auto-rotates” itself into landscape mode. But 10% of the time, this weird orientation shows up. When it does, I cannot get it to work correctly, even if I “force quit” Roon and start again. It keeps doing this until I unlock orientation, rotate to landscape, and start Roon.

Hi to aid @support what version of iPad are you using?

Thanks @Carl. Sorry, I thought posting in the Support forum didn’t require me to tag support.

Anyway, iPad Pro 10.5", iOS 13.5 (but the screenshot was taken under the last version of 13.4, I think it was 13.4.2?)

You don’t, this area is monitored by them.

Hello @Kuryan_Thomas and thanks for the information! Do you have zoom mode or any accessibility options enabled on this device?

No, I do not. Only the orientation lock.

Hello @Kuryan_Thomas, thanks for checking that. I’d like to get a diagnostic report from your device over to my team for a closer review. To do that, please note the date/time this orientation issue next occurs and reply to this thread with a timestamp (your local time) and I will enable diagnostics for your iPad.

May 26 2020, between 9:11 and 9:12 am EDT.

Again between 9:13 and 9:14.

It may be my imagination, but it seems to happen more often if the iPad is in portrait orientation when Roon is launched.

Also, I’m certain of this part: it only happens when Roon is launched “cold”. That is, after it has been force quit or has quit running in the background.

Hello @Kuryan_Thomas,

I have enabled diagnostics for your iPad, next time you use Roon on it, a diagnostic report should be automatically uploaded to our servers. When you get a chance, go ahead and start Roon on your iPad and I’ll make sure the report gets in front of my team.

OK, done (and, sure enough, it started up in the weird orientation…)

Thanks.

Thanks @Kuryan_Thomas! And my apologies, please also connect the iPad to your core while you’re in Roon. That’s what will upload the logs.

I think it did…it does by default when I start the Roon app on iPad, right? It showed me my usual landing page, although in the strange orientation.

Yeah it looks like it worked, submitting the report now!

1 Like

I also get this glitch from time to time, and you are right, it most often (always?) when Roon is launched/open with iPad in portrait mode.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.