iPhone 15 review for audiophiles

Yes, got the iPhone Pro 15 on Friday and had my first listen

Dowloaded this album from my library and listened with UE Pro 18+ IEMs

Pretty damn impressive sound [almost as good as on the Astell&Kern SP-3000]

How do you guys get flac folders onto iPhone 15 ? It’s a challenge!

Download from my Library via Roon Arc, or via Qobuz app

I could be missing the point but listening on the move should be as simple as possible. Rather than trying to use ARC for the moment I just use the Qobuz app and download to my phone. My phone then connects directly to a Chord Mojo via USB-C and micro-USB. Sounds OK to me. I will try with other headphones to see if the SQ is down to the DAC or the headphones.

I would like all my music under one roof so to speak, so streaming and my collection on iPhone, but getting all my flac files onto iPhone is proving hard work. I should point out I have my music in folders, old school I know.
This would then be feeding my iem’s via HC2.

I listen on the iPhone only when I’m out for the day and want only one device with me. Easy enough to put a few albums on before leaving. When walking the dog, I listen on a DAP with 1 TB of music on it.

I don’t even bother with ARC , I put a 1 Tb SD card into my Samsung phone and BT to Sony HW-1000 MX4 or Sony HF-1000 MX4 , not quite the real thing but better than the radio ! I had a protracted hospital stay , that was my excuse :sunglasses:

To me it’s the big advantage of Samsung , a 1 Tb iPhone would need a mortgage

Makes sense; I rarely listen to more than one album at a time on the iPhone. My main device is an Astell&Kern SP-3000 with a 1 TB SD card inserted.

I was pleased to see that you are able to use DSD over PCM (DoP) with this device to the A&K HC2. May I ask what software you are using for playback.

I just came across one app that does work with my iphone for DoP to my DAC called Ever Play. I hope other vendors figure out whatever Ever Play seems to have done!

The HC 2 is connected directly to the iPhone onto which i downloaded the files

The screenshot is generated by tapping on “lossless” when it’s playing

The SP-3000 does the same without the HC2

Can anyone recommend a portable DAC for the iPhone 15? These things range from something like $50 offering from FiiO to over $600 semi-portable ones like Chord Mojo.

I’d like something compact that can power reasonably efficient closed-headphones and that allows me to bypass Apple converting everything to a 48kz sample rate.

What would you guys recommend in the $150 and under range?

I believe the Astell & Kern HC 2 in the US is in your price range but not certain

Thanks for responding. Just checked. It’s $250, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear that. FWIW, I’m finding the sound quality as good as their SP-3000 which is in a total different price range

1 Like

@RBM - And that works?

I was told by Creative Support (Creative Labs Pte Ltd.):

“The BT-W5 transmitter cannot be connected directly to a mobile device such as an iPhone.”

Torben

I use it daily. Works fine on my iPad Pro as well. :slight_smile:

The answer probably pre-dates USB-C iPhones?

1 Like

That is good to know :slight_smile:

FiiO will launch the Smartphone LDAC transmitter BT11 this summer:

https://twitter.com/FIIO_official/status/1753678040381673724

Torben

It works :slight_smile:

Have been testing it with iPhone 15 Pro and Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 4

Torben

1 Like

I use the Fosi Audio DS1, it’s cheap and the sound is just superb

1 Like

The $10 Apple USB-C to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter gets great reviews considering its price.