iPhone constantly losing connection to core

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac with latest MacOS updates and Roon up to date

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

EE Broadband Smart Hub and core connects via wifi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

iPhone XR with latest iOS Updates outputting via CCK to Dragonfly Red

Description Of Issue

When listening to music in this way from Roon the app on my iPhone plays for a bit then the music just stops and a few seconds later I get a “Lost connection to core” screen which hangs around for another 15 seconds or so then the app comes back to where I was and then after trying to play again does this all over again. I get to various random points in the music. It can happen very quickly or after several tracks. I have reset my net work connections on the iPhone and restarted it but made no difference. I have restarted my iMac and the core but it keeps happening. This never used to happen until the last few weeks. I have now resorted to playing with the set up directly from my NAS using the mConnect app which is working flawlessly in the same position in the house so not a wifi issue to my phone.

Hold fire on this. I’ve discovered an issue that might have solved my problem. And testing this out now. I found out that the EE Smart Hub has known issues (apparently) with multicast on 5ghz wifi. I discovered this as I noticed that MinimServer on my NAS was often not showing up on end points and dropping out. I have separated the 2.4 and 5 ghz in the settings of the Smart Hub and it seems to have worked. It also seems routers which combine these often confuse devices and causes drop outs. This is the first router I had allowed them to be combined so the first time I have had these issues. I am hoping now I have separated them out it might have fixed Roon disconnects as well.

Hello @Sam_King,

Has the issue been resolved since you made changes to your network? Let us know so we can assist you.

Hi @nuwriy and thanks for the reply. Sorry took some time but wanted to be sure. Yes this seems to have sorted the issue and I hope that might be of some help to others with these routers that combine the 2.4 and 5 gHz bands. I think I now know what was happening. As I moved upstairs in my house the 5gHz signal weakens and the iPhone probably starts switching between the 2 and hence loses connection with the core. It doesn’t seem to happen if they are presented to the phone as two separate bands. Maybe I’m wrong in the reason but it seems to have fixed my issue anyway.

Hey @Sam_King, glad to know everything worked out! Also, thank you for the information, we’ll keep this in mind for future inquiries.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.