iPhone11 Roon app crashing

For this very reason, I didn’t sign up for the lifetime subscription. If they can fix it, I would sign up. I do like all of the features. Just wish I could use the remote on iPhone, because I use the iPad much less.

Ironically, as @Laurent_Fontanel said above, the app seems to have stabilized. I don’t know whether it’s fair to expect software updates every 4-6 months, but I think this could/should be fixed soon?

…and crashing again.

A week into Roon. Thought I’d researched the shortcomings well but missed this. When I move around the house I usually have my phone and the app not working is just unacceptable, as it’s my main remote. Glitchy app is not what has been reviewed or advertised. When is this going to be fixed?

I’m running an 11 Max. The app has also been unstable on my iPad mini. Roon nucleus being used.

@dylan if you need any user input from me happy to participate.

Hi Euan
Roon on iPhones is frankly a joke. I’ve got an iPhone X and it crashes all the time. Has done for the last year with variable up time (10 seconds before crashing was the worst; although iOS software changes can and do affect this).

Suggest you use an iPad because it’s way more stable; better still if you have an iMac (or probably MacBook etc) to control things.

The only good thing is that playback rarely crashes, even if the iPhone does (which it will, on a regular basis depending on what you are trying to do). Roon’s infrastructure is rock solid.

Despite helping the lovely tech guys with hundreds of crash report feedbacks, they have don’t seem to be able to deliver a stable product on an iPhone in my experience.

That said, starting / pausing playback works OK and if that’s all you want to do (occasionally) it works. For anything else, an iPad or iMac (for me) is the only way to go.
Best
Terry

1 Like

Thanks Terry. This is helpful.

Running everything off the iPads for now. Just love the convenience of the phone, especially with kids demanding all sorts to be played.

No problem, glad to help you.

To be clear, you may find the frequency of crashes varies over time and with various iOS updates. It hasn’t been a total disaster but it is far from satisfactory. Using a mixture of IPad and iPhone, depending on what you want to do, is your best bet.

Roon is so much better than anything else I have seen. I’m also a recent lifetime subscriber but that’s more to do with my age (66), my wife’s dislike of annual subscriptions, my fear that “lifetime” will disappear for good and building my new system around the Grimm MU1 streamer which has Roon baked into it’s core. Fabulous.

Best
Terry

Just like to add that I run RON Core on a 2012 Macmin with Google wifi. My remotes include iPhone X, iPhone 11, iPad mini and iPad 12.9 pros 1st gen. No crashes no issues!

Happy to relay that the iPhone app on my iPhone 11 has been unfailingly stable for the last 3 weeks. Only change made was the upgrade to iOS 14.4. Sorry I didn’t report earlier; work has been brutal.

I will say that for me, as expected, my experience with Roon will depend more on the iPhone remote, not iPad. So, I’m glad to see the stability.

Hope y’all are getting that experience also.

Been a disaster for me, too.

Keeps crashing over and over again on iPhone 11 Pro Max.

When it works it takes ages to load the core if I switch between apps.

For what it costs it should really work properly. I am very disappointed about having forked out an annual subscription without having thoroughly tested it before, just because I liked the concept.