Iqaudio DAC running Dietpi - shows up with icon like it's a RoonReady style device

Ok, so I had this situation with an existing Pi3/iqaudio DAC - whereby even using Dietpi and roonbrige, it shows up like a RoonReady devucecwith custom icon etc.

Setting up a new one tonight, (which all went pretty smoothly although I’d forgotten a couple of steps), gives the same. Totally clean Dietpi install, updated to run roonbridge, again shows up with custom icon. By contrast, my hifiberry DAC running Dietpi and Roon ridge has the default speaker icon.

I wouldn’t mind except, as discussed at length previously, I don’t want the custom icon! I just want a speaker. :grinning:

So couple questions:
Why does this happen - are the icons and hardware identification not exclusive to RoonReady? Or is this expected?
Is there any way I can get it to go back to the default speaker icon?

Incidentally, I added PEQ (which I’ve never bothered with on any of my Pis) just for fun. It works, unsurprisingly! The one thing I noticed though is the processing speed is absent (see screengrab for icon and processing).

Having a custom icon is not limited to Roon Ready devices … typically it means the device has been tested and proven reliable by Roon and the manufacturer is one of Roon’s partners.

Damn.

Wonder why the hifiberry isn’t the same as it’s also a Roon partner device.

In any event, what a shame. Oh well, I can live with it I suppose - just hate those icons!

Hack up your system so the ALSA device name is different :slight_smile:

For I2S devices like this, there is nothing for us to key off other than the name, so matching is an inexact science. For USB, we can use the VID:PID which is as crisp as manufacturers want to make it.

Not sure why it doesn’t happen for HiFiBerry. Probably something is different about the device string they use for ALSA and the “official” product names, so we can’t recognize it.

1 Like

At some point, we changed it so processing speed is only shown if it’s slower than 100x.

It’s kind of silly to show Processing Speed: 2400x when just applying volume leveling, or when crossfade is enabled but not currently doing any fading. No-one really needs to think about the number when there’s virtually no CPU in use.

1 Like

Happy to try this. Any pointers?

If by chance the device name is coming out of the dtoverlay, that’s probably the easiest–no kernel rebuild. If it’s in the driver, you’d patch the driver source + rebuild the kernel.

Or you could do it the nasty way: find the device string in a hex editor and replace a few chars to make it different.

I don’t think there’s a sanctioned way to reconfigure it. But I also don’t think the ID string is coming off of the device itself (which would make this much harder)–I think it’s in the kernel or dtoverlay.

@Dan_Knight Dan might have the answer to this…after all Diet Pi is his baby. The other who might have a stab at it is @spockfish Harry as he has a roon bridge build too for RPi called Ropieee

Or you just select the Allo Piano driver and live happily ever after. :slight_smile:

This worked a treat! Thanks @RBM. Of course it now says PianoDAC but I can live with that.

Is there any disadvantage in doing this? SQ or anything? These aren’t crucial zones SQ-wise so not really that fussed, but just interested. I figured all these different drivers were specific to the hardware and making the most of them?

Meanwhile, keeping fingers crossed that one day we can control what icons we have…

Thanks for the info, but just the words kernel & rebuild are enough to know that’s beyond my skills. I know what they are and that’s about my level of understanding/interest. Seems like @RBM’s method works - will leave that running on the kitchen zone for a while and see if it’s stable, then roll out to the baby’s room.

I would never have guessed that one but seems like a good idea. I suppose you could always display ‘processing negligible’ or something like that to keep it consistent?

Yeah…I knew it wasn’t a practical solution. I was mostly kidding when I suggested it in the first place, but then you called my bluff :slight_smile:

I don’t see any problems with @RBM’s approach. Shouldn’t hurt anything. Most of these HAT devices are basically the same from the kernel’s point of view.

1 Like

I’m clearly in a much too serious mood today… I usually get it. :slight_smile:

I was kidding too.

Using the Allo driver for more than a few minutes will fry your IQ Audio board.

3 Likes

Well, this seems to be working well. Exactly what I was after.

I had to set max pcm to 192, and the volume is quite different - much lower than the iqaudio one so I need to crank the slider quite a bit further but I can sort that out.

your volume is indicating 17 … is that what you want?

Hang on. Now im not sure who’s joking and who isn’t. :open_mouth:

@hifi_swlon

The Justboom DAC uses PCM 5122, same as PiDAC+, could try that one.

Thanks Dan - will try that (although justboom are Partners too so may have a custom artwork).

Could I duplicate and edit one of these dtoverlay files to modify the iqaudio one just changing the name? Or does the config only see ‘official’ dtoverlays?

I’m still getting over the fact these are config files, I though they were the equivalent to software drivers.

Can I ask another quick Dietpi question while we’re here? Is it possible for the OS to disable any of the Pis leds? Specifically the NIC ones but also any other ones too. I find the lights pretty distracting at night (in bedrooms especially) so I tape over them, but thought there might be a more elegant way perhaps? Maybe Dietpi can already do it?

Just keep the Allo overlay – it’s PCM5122 as well. :slight_smile: