Is adding to Library from Watched Folders Automatic?

@mike - Thanks for your efforts to find my OP. I wasn’t looking forward to paraphrasing it. I thought I had dealt with you, but I see now it was Ben. When, a couple of weeks ago, I asked you for a response to my OP, you seemed to have had no knowledge of it. Of course, as you couldn’t have. :grin:

I didn’t remember Ben’s reply. Really, there wasn’t much there; other than stating that previously he thought that this was only a macOS problem. Since this happened under WIN10, that’s not the case. It’s been stated in other posts that this is a non-SMB sharing problem with Linux/macOS, but I had it happen under WIN10.

I guess that it’s possible that all my efforts only concerned a bug Roon techs had already known about, but I don’t think that explains the sequence of errors spread out over the 12 CDs.

It seems like there is still something else. Why do some CDs, in no particular ripping/moving order show up in their entirety? Why do a couple of CDs, again in no particular order, not show up at all. Why do most CDs have only their 1st track captured? It seems like if Roon was aware of a least 1 new track, then effort could be put in to discover accompanying tracks.

Yes, it’s been obvious to me that JShiver rescans on preset timer. You seem to imply that Roon scans on a default of 4 hours, but I left things as they were for 12 hours. No scan occurred. Yes, that probably is your rescan bug, but in the months that I’ve been using Roon it’s never successfully rescanned on its own volition, IIRC.

In the months I’ve been on this forum I’ve noticed that 3 themes occur over and over.

1. The incessant whining about the price of Roon and the accompanying adolescent cajoling of the Roon principals to give people a ‘better deal’.
  2. The ongoing battle between the objectivists and the subjectivists concerning the value of ‘audiophile’ cabling and expensive, boutique endpoints.
  3. The fact that Roon does not, in many opportunities, succesfully automatically update it’s library.

The first two are probably unavoidable, but maybe Roon should stop giving the impression that its library is automatically updated.

It seems like you are saying that were I to repeat my test today, all the CDs would be correctly and completely and automatically updated in Roon’s library. Is this true?

Since I discoverd TIDAL, I don’t care as much and, in truth, having to manually rescan my small library never was anything but a minor annoyance over a promise not kept. Now, except for CDs I have to buy to satisfy a nostalgia for the music of my youth or classical music in boxed sets, I get my music from TIDAL.

It occurs to me that a fourth theme on this forum might be related to Roon interval rescans. People sometimes post about getting mesages to the effect that ‘a music file is loading slowly’. Do you think that, on maginally capable machines, this might coincide with the 4 hour interval scan. I know that since I moved my Roon server off of an inadequate i5 Mini and onto a Xeon machine, I no longer get that message, even with 4 endpoints playing in a zone.

IMHO, Roon still has a problem concerning library updates.

Regards