Is burn-in real?

I am not talking about musical note / melodic memory.

I am talking about comparing audio - sounds & frequencies (tonality)

Read about it here

1 Like

With all due respect this is about enjoyment and feeling good about what you’re doing whether it ‘correct’ or not.
I shouldn’t have got involved with this. Apologies.

For speakers or anything with mechanical components, I can believe in a burn-in period, depending on material used.
No burn in for electronic or passive component, nor for my wife, always the same…

This article does not support your claim that we can not remember sound for long periods. The echoing memory, which is short, is merely the type of memory that is used to process sound. Nowhere does it even apply that it is the only type of memory of sound. Once the processing is over, who says it doesn’t go into the long term memory? Definitely not this article.

Try again.

How to Burn-In Speakers (yamaha.com)

Now, I really don’t believe that Yamaha are just some other idiots…

When I bought my cables (Chimera Laboratories) many years ago they initially sounded “clattery” and thin. The sound changed over a week or so and the bass came in. It wasn’t subtle.

I don’t know if anyone has ever tried to measure it, but comparing frequency response graphs ought to show it.

I wish I could find the link, but about two years ago, one of the premier audiologist who also is an expert in music, did extensive research on this, and how our brain does the processing of music. His research showed that you need to listen to something for at least 15-20 minutes before your brain locks onto it, and remember it. I guess it’s a break-in / burn-in situation. He also concluded that that is why the tests you link to usually mean little about the brain’s capability for long term memory, as they almost always use much shorter sample in their testing. It’s also why professional listeners have much better memory retention; they listen for extended periods, combined with training themselves how to listen and what to listen for. Also, this research showed the more often we listen to a musical selection, the better long term memory we have of it.

When I got my subs, I broke them in by playing a 5Hz tone with the volume set to approach their max excursion. I could hear the tone, but inside my listening room, I sure could feel it, and hear it’s effects on things in the room. A few nights of doing this made a world of difference.

Did your next door neighbours move out?!

As is was 5 Hz, no one could hear it, and it didn’t interact with anything except objects in the listening room. Okay, it rattled the windowi\ in the room a bit, too. (A lot ?!?!?!)

Well, these days anyone with a driver license automatically knows anything about F1 cars, and guess what: they do left or right the same as any Prius…

Wriggling out of brisk before & after a/b tests again?

That just makes for a terrific get out clause to buy something, get used to it, justify it’s purchase and never loop back to check it against what you were using prior / upgrading.

This leaves Audiophiles prey to charlatans.

1 Like

Yes, it’s real.
Material resistance and electrical noise are real.
Electrical amplification is real. Period.
Next question.

1 Like

Why do you ask about burn in when you obviously have no question at all? You already know, because you’ve rewired your ac supply to all-Shunyata? No, just to stir up we super sensitive audiophiles. The righteous electricians are on the march again. If it can’t be measured, it doesn’t exist; if it measures outside my own sensory range, it’s inaudible and therefore cannot affect the sound. If it’s invisible, it cannot affect what I see. If you can’t smell it, it can’t harm you.
I dare you to replace all of your ac cables with 500 quid cables and report the result. Hi end suppliers at your charlatan festivals will surely do a deal for the publicity. Give me my subsonic bass-traps and CD digital filters any day, but you’re welcome to do without.
Still no electricians willing to take on my challenge to prove 100% that ALL cables sound the same.

Still no electricians willing to take on my challenge to prove 100% that ALL cables sound the same.

Not many believers are prepared to do public double blind tests and prove otherwise either. Guess it’s a stalemate.

Until now: http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/papers/Audibility-of-cable-pathways--Kunchur.pdf

3 Likes

I don’t know if burn-in is real, but burn-out is definitely real.

3 Likes

It doesn’t actually convince me and I do believe cables make a difference. I’m not as sure as some on here that it is night and day though.

What does not convince you?