Is burn-in real?

No worries, and I completely agree that it’s odd that noise at those frequencies would be referenced (which clearly leads to confusion).

I would say burn in mostly psychological.

There may be some kit that improves after a burn in time period . Speakers need a little time to blossom .

Digital dacs ,etc . Nah .

1 Like

I can tell you my ears have been burned in after all the Led Zeppelin , Black Sabbath and Who concerts .

Now when I listen I don’t have to worry about hearing those high frequencies and equipment burn in is meaningless !

3 Likes

After years of punk music in small venues the highest frequencies I hear is tinnitus.

Sorry to hear that . That sucks .

It comes n goes, it’s not so bad. There are worse things in life anyway.

I have severe high pitched tinnitus from years of being a rock photographer. But even with that, I can hear differences in most gear, or between file types. It’s just an annoying ‘noise’ overlaid on top of everything else. A noise machine or fan running at night helps for sleep.

2 Likes

Yes I can hear differences. I tend to prefer tannoy drivers for some reason. Mine comes and goes so I’m quite lucky. I sleep like a log too!

1 Like

I haven’t read the whole thread here yet, but the issue I take with the OP is that they seem to be conflating 2 completely separate issues into one - namely they pose a question about burn-in, but then the actual point they make is not about burn-in at all - it['s about doing a/b comparisons between the new gear and whatever it replaced. A/B tests to determine the benefits of burn-in would require 2 sets of the same gear, one with burn-in done and one not, and then A/B testing them against each other to see if there is a difference in the same piece of gear after burn-in.

A/B testing or not when you get a new piece of gear vs a different older piece of gear is a whole different thing and not really related to burn-in at all. I do agree that listening to something, then doing a 2 week burn in, then listening again, is far too subjective and expectations-based to be terribly useful for determining if burn-in made any meaningful difference unless there is a very stark change. I mean, I struggle with hearing differences in tube-rolling my little Vali 2 hybrid headphone amp and that only involves a few minutes between tests.

1 Like

Re ethernet switch “burn in”.

From 30 mins is great. Or watch the whole thing.

2 Likes

I know it should and probably has been in the toons thread but I couldn’t resist
Burn in

5 Likes

Not sure this link has already been shared here.

http://matrix-hifi.com/ENG_contenedor_rodajealtavoces.htm

ATC are saying their speakers don’t need burn-in.

They aren’t the only ones saying it’s not something to worry about.

ATC probably give all their outbound boxes a good working test to shake it down before sending customers/distributors as would most higher end manufactures.

When it started for me (the day after my last gig as a DJ) I cant say I thought there was anything that was worse at the time. I put on on a similar level to loosing my eyesight or hands (as a DJ and audio engineer and remixer).

10+ years on and its finally down to ‘comes and goes and I can live with it’ so long as I am careful and keep myself distracted and busy. In the first 6 months during which it was pretty much a continuous torture I really was not in a good place at all, especially having to cancel some potentially lucrative and career building mix and remix work.

Now that it has settled down and I am back doing some music again then on the good (quiet) days, Its good to know I can still hear and discern what I used to be able to hear despite what has to also be ten years of normal age related hearing loss creeping in suggesting to me that being able to hear much over 10k probably doesnt really matter that much - even to an audio professional.

The thing I miss the most though is I wont risk going to loud concerts/bars/clubs any more. I did unexpectedly end up at a loud gig and ended up stuffing tissues in my ears which was odd :slight_smile:

Yes I’m sorry to hear that. Fortunately apart from enjoying music I don’t rely on my hearing for a profession. I get vertigo too and I think it’s linked as they came on at the same time. Maybe when all the madness is over I can get to the doctors to explain it all.

Except it sounds better in the buyer’s system! That sounds like money well spent to me.

Yamaha has an interest in your engagement with their products, though, and they know that only a subset of purchasers will follow any sort of burn-in procedure. That subset like to have their beliefs catered to, and it doesn’t cost Yamaha anything at all to do it.

1 Like

Burn in us mostly psychological. That being said , speakers and amps can improve after some playing time . Dacs , nah .

New guitar strings settle in as you play, so I expect mechanical components such as speaker cones to, maybe, relax a bit with use, but after that I think it’s all in our heads… we adapt to the different sound.

2 Likes