Is Intel NUC 11 compatible with ROCK?

By the way, does somebody have a clue of what would be the best system regarding performance: a NUC 11 with Linux and Roon server, or a Rock-based NUC 10? Many thanks :slight_smile:

Not sure. Sorry.

Roon haven’t confirmed a release date for UEFI Rock support yet, so if Roon Rock is important stick with NUC gen10.

Maybe keep an eye out for the new small factor 12th gen Intel solutions.

While the ASRock box will probably work, ROCK is only officially supported on an Intel NUC.

1 Like

Of course. But I was speaking about running Linux.
FYI… Rock works on most legacy machines

ASRock DESKMINI H470 Intel Socket LGA1200, Intel H470, Mini/Booksize Barebone System,10th/11th…OK

Go back to Win 10 until the new ROCK appears. Windows runs Roon perfectly

1 Like

I tried Linux Cinnamon Mint and that works very well with Roon Server. I thought Linux Mint is much more convenient than Ubuntu. You can always free your computer by de-installing software like Open Office, etc.

1 Like

Windows works, but IMHO linux is far more efficient, robust, runs less overheads and is more responsive. It’s also free. It’s a far better appliance OS, especially Linux server builds.

I particularly noticed CPU utilisation sits much lower running Ubuntu vs Windows.
Less noise, less fan, less CPU heat.

Windows indexing is a killer. It regularly occupies 20-25% of CPU.

Rock sits on Linux after all.

13 posts were split to a new topic: Australian Consumer Law question’s

There are plenty of people using Nuc 7 and 8, so it may be obsolete from a sales perspective, but still perfectly functional with Roon. I upgraded from a Nuc 7 to 10 a couple of years ago and I am very happy with it.

Danny had some issues with some driver’s in his last message, but yes it is overdue to get a Rock that runs on the latest Nucs.

Only a small percentage of user’s are going to buy a Nucleus, and surely the monthly/yearly subscriptions should be incentive enough for Roon to complete this process. I am hopeful but would rather it come out good and reliable like the current build of Rock than be like so many recenl releases of Roon.

1 Like

The first NUC 11s were released in Jan 2021. 1.5 years is hardly a few years.

The NUC11 bios requires a uefi OS. The current Roon OS is legacy bios, so it will need to be updated before Roon can release a NUC11 capable update.

Roon has commented on this forum that work is in progress but that Intel has not provided them a usable NUC11 compliant Ethernet driver that will run under Linux, so their hands are tied. Intel is the hold-up not Roon. Best to point fingers at the actual responsible party.

6 Likes

That’s the most intelligent comment anyone has made so far. Thank you

Is ROCK worth it though? Not bullet proof to problems, and having the ability to run other stuff on a 11i5, as well as Roon, is pretty cool.

I didn’t like having to figure out Linux at the start, but it’s ok now. Plenty of help from here helped.

I prefer having a music appliance, rather than a [general purpose] computer that runs music software… I began my Roon journey with the Core on a NUC running Windows, but have ended up with the Core on a NUC with ROCK for simplicity.

1 Like

I’m with @Geoff_Coupe on this.
Started on Synology, moved to Windows when niggly issues like rebooting and performance issues when I had other stuff running stopped me enjoying the music.

Built a Nuc with Rock and it was a great experience (but second hand and several years old).
Bought a new NUC 10 a couple of years later and put Ubuntu on it and got other stuff working, then had issues caused by my tinkering and other software.

Light bulb moment that Rock was designed to stop all this and create a great and light weight appliance. Back to Rock and besides Roon bug’s, it’s been a fantastic experience.
Even though I don’t need to upgrade, I would still like to see Rock 2.0.

Its roon’s contention that a 1.5 year old intel made device does not have an ethernet driver? I am not buying it.

I don’t know about currently, this was 1.5 years ago:

In any case, they won’t be adding just UEFI to the current version on Roon OS because that would seem crazy. And the release of OS 2.0 most likely has many new things that must all be ready for release, as usual in complex software problems

From another thread, there’s this -

Me too. Zero problems in the 1.5 years I have used it, only reboots are for updates