Is Intel NUC 11 compatible with ROCK?

Wow even through the last build…
With that memory leak mine could not make it 7 days without Rock rebooting (total respect)

Well, probably not. This was an older post, but still…

That one post ended the thread pretty quickly -

1 Like

Yes that is a challenge to try and beat.
And every reboot you have to start again.

No competition, besides Photoshop :roll_eyes:

I am constantly amazed by the issues people post about, my Rock didn’t blink through the last build either. I do have 16 gigs and just 2500 albums in the library though

I have ~5200 albums and ~72000 track’s and 16GB of RAM. I think it rebooted about 4 or 5 times before the update came out and it has been solid since.
Roon (the app) restarted about every 8 hours and by the time it restarted it was unusable due to the memory leak.

Danny has mentioned before that Rock/Roon does not cope with running out of memory. My guess is that it would eventually just dump the Core and reboot. There were people with bigger libraries and 32GB of RAM that didn’t have the issue. I guess it was dependent on where the memory leak was

My usage is pretty simple, I don’t use DSP or multiroom, just play music and edit metadata. So it’s certainly possible I was lucky and didn’t hit the leak. Nevertheless, not a single issue with Rock ever in the 1.5 years since I installed it

I can’t comment on the Windows remote anymore since build 903, because since then I’ve been forced to quit and restart it frequently, but that’s a different issue apparently caused by Wine on Linux due to the new high refresh rate in the remote, and I can’t blame Roon for it. It always works when I use it, but it causes high CPU load and fan noise, so I quit it whenever not actively using it.

Though I didn’t have any problems with the Android remotes on phone and tablet with the problematic build either

1 Like

That’s a comment, even if you are letting them off for the problem :grin:

I am a man of few Roon problems, besides the Sonos dropping off after a few hours. Thankfully I have other ways to play to most rooms. Rock besides that one version has been amazing to be fair. An appliance that you bring your own computer too use with.

Yeah, but I knew from the start that it’s not a supported or tested way to run it. It’s annoying because it was flawless with Wine when I started and this was an important factor for me, and I wish the issue would go away, but it’s not something Roon can be blamed for

No but we want it to continue working, which is understandable. It is also the only reasonable way to run the client on a Linux machine.

Absolutely.

But originally I meant that I can’t comment on memory leaks or other issues with long-running desktop remotes because I restart it all the time :slight_smile: Luckily that’s instantaneous

1 Like

I would use Linux more if there was a Room client, especially if cross platform, which given that it is Dotnet based should be achievable. To many things I need for work require Windows sadly.

I just bought a Khadas vim4 SBC which is great for Linux and Android and I would love to use that for running Roon remote on. For now I have Android on it to do some more testing before I go back to Linux

We need Microsoft to get their act together with .net MAUI for Linux :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely and then Roon to make a fully functional cross platform client :+1:

1 Like

Surely a NUC is still a computer running music software. It’s just running less software than a Linux or a Windows computer.

I run Roon on a Windows PC (a PC that I also use for other things) and I’ve had zero problems for 1.5 years. If something isn’t working (regardless of OS), it’s usually down to hardware problems (RAM, CPU, type of HDD/SSD, network set up etc.), or software problems (configurations, permissions etc.).

1 Like

I thought it was clear what @Geoff_Coupe was saying, however, I’ve taken the liberty of updating to clarify …

… a [general purpose] computer …

Sorry, but I don’t really see the distinction. A NUC running ROCK is not a “music appliance”. It is still a computer. In other words it is still liable to problems relating to RAM, CPU and configuration, in the way that, say, a CD player is not. A CD player is a music appliance, a NUC running ROCK is a computer.

This isn’t a matter of semantics, it is a matter of functionality, and thereby potential dysfunctionality. A CD player either works or it doesn’t. A NUC running ROCK might not work, just like any OS running Roon might not work, for a whole myriad of hardware or software reasons.

1 Like

In computing, it’s common to use the word appliance for a single-purpose turnkey solution. Of course it’s still a computer, but Rock is much less liable to random issues with things like package management or configuration, because there is neither.

2 Likes

I don’t want to labour the point, but surely that would describe the Nucleus rather than a NUC running ROCK. To use ROCK you generally have to install the software yourself, often on a NUC that you’ve partially built! That doesn’t really fit the definition quoted.

The only reason that I’ve questioned the initial description is that, at times, people post on here expecting Roon (in whatever form) to be a musical appliance. The reality is that, with perhaps the exception of the Nucleus, it is not. The user involvement in set up and maintenance, even of a NUC running ROCK, is more related to the category of a computer rather than a computer appliance. This matters when it comes to the required competence and expertise of Roon users when it comes to trouble-shooting!

True, but installation is the only thing, and it’s rather simple. After that it’s the same as a Nucleus, essentially. This is still very different to a general-purpose OS where any screw-up by, say, Ubuntu or Microsoft, in any of a hundred unrelated packages, can render it unbootable, can cause updates to fail, etc., at any later time.

That’s a fair point. But I suppose that you could say the same of a Linux installation. This requires more effort than a ROCK installation. But once up and running, it’ll function pretty much like a Nucleus - granted, only if OS updates don’t mess things up. I still think that, even with a Nucleus, and certainly with a NUC running ROCK, more user competence is (sometimes/often) required than operating, say, a video game console (another example of a computer appliance on the Wiki page). Anyway, I’m drifting off-topic - NUC11’s remain incompatible with ROCK. :smile: