Is Intel NUC 11 compatible with ROCK?

No I disagree, with the Nucleus and ROCK … Roon strictly control what’s running (Roon OS and Roon Core) and how it is configured … hence the team appliance.

And installing Linux is still more complicated than installing Rock, and a useless thing to do if all the box is supposed to do is being a Roon server.

And I disagree with what you say about user interaction. I installed Rock on a fanless NUC 1.5 years ago (actually got it preinstalled), connected it to Ethernet, turned it on, and that was it. It has worked since without any interaction on my part.

Fair point on the Linux comparison. I’m still not convinced though on the description of NUC running ROCK as an appliance. There are just, for me, too many variables. After all, there seem to be as many people posting problems with ROCK as other OS on the forum.

Ditto for me, apart from the fact that Roon is installed on my fanless Windows PC. Plenty of ROCK users have no problems, some ROCK users have plenty of problems. Plenty of Windows users have no problems, some Windows users have plenty of problems.

Not if you’re using any hardware other than that which is ROCK compatible - unless one fancies a MOCK experiment! Back on topic - the only possible way to use Roon if you have a NUC 11 is with Linux or Windows.

Plenty of game console and NAS users have problems. That’s not what decides if it’s an appliance or not.

We are discussing installing Rock on supported hardware. Obviously it stops being an appliance if you create an unsupported Installation. [Moderated].

1 Like

We’ll have to agree to differ over definitions.

You are just being needlessly contrarian about something that is very obvious to a reasonable person

To disagree with a person, to state reasons for the disagreement and to do so politely and amiably is not contrarian. It is simply debate and discussion. But I’m quite happy to bow out.

1 Like

Stating amiably that the sky is green over and over is still contrarian :slight_smile: Don’t get too upset about a very common acronym expressing exasperation, it wasn’t meant insulting. But yeah, everything has been said, good night!

Just got a NUC 11 and farted around with it for about an hour trying to get it to boot to usb before I decided to google and instantly found this thread…disappointing indeed…installing Ubuntu as I type…

To the folks at Roon, please update your recommended NUC page with a disclaimed that says ROCK will not work on NUC 11’s (unless it it already there and I missed it). I saw that you recommend the 10, but I just figured it was an older page and the 11 would be fine…I went for the latest greatest…like may will I assume.

Anyway, obviously ROCK will work on it one day…till that day, UBUNTU it is

1 Like

Roon list what works, not what doesn’t work.

To assume the supported models list is just outdated or hasn’t been updated to include the latest generation NUCs isn’t that odd, I think. That being said, expect the worst :slight_smile:
And really, it’s about time for an updated ROCK version that supports 11th/12th generation NUCs.

Cheers,
Dennis.

It’s a list of supported models. Assuming that models that are not on the list are supported is what’s odd :slight_smile:

One won’t expect that the latest generation NUC is not supported while a NUC5 is supported? Does that make sense?
So it makes sense to assume that the list is not updated yet.

1. It says “last updated: 6 months ago” right there on the page
  2. Even if I had doubts, I would ask before buying a model that is not on the explicit list of “these models are supported”
  3. It’s entirely reasonable that models that were supported in the past continue to be supported, while newer models are not (yet)
2 Likes

“People Are Strange”

I hope there will be some development on on NUC 11 and Rock.
Here in NZ is becoming almost impossible to source a Gen 10. I think I will go for a 11 and install Windows, hoping in the future Rock will be a possibility again.

3 Likes

Completely agree. They should boldly state that NUC 11 are not compatible. I bought a new NUC 11 and found that UEFI boot was the only option. I installed Linux and could not figure out how to run the install script for Roon Server. Even though I am old enough to remember doing commands in DOS, I am unable to get this working, so now I have had to resort to getting a copy of Windows. I really regret having to do this with all the overhead Windows brings with it. I had completely converted to Mac. Absent going on Ebay and picking up a used NUC, there is really no one selling legacy NUC’s that are compatible with ROCK.

By the way I have built a NUC and am very happy running ROCK for one core, but wanted to build a second one for my vacation home. Any update on when Roon will support UEFI boot?

It’s pretty clear what NUC is supported here:

If you’d posted in Support, plenty of people would have assisted, myself included.

Incidentally, welcome to the community.

1 Like