Is it just me or is there usually some problem going on with Roon at any given time?

1 year happy camper here. No issues whatsoever.

Sorry Geoff your not looking where I am and others see same. I see it as it should in the main artist page. Itā€™s when your on the artists info pages it doesnā€™t show them. Nothing wrong with my setup. Itā€™s worked fine since I have had Roon and never had missing images before 880. The thing that changed was Roon not my setup. No errors in my logs as I have checked. Itā€™s a bug.

You mean, like this?

or this?

Ah, got you - itā€™s this component on the page - OK, now we know where Roon Labs need to fix itā€¦

Exactly. I put in a ticket earlier. Whether they pick it up or it gets lost amongst the rest is another story.

2 Likes

LOL, and my screen doesnā€™t display it the same way (no section for members on the right):

I agree that there are issues. My experience has been that a larger percentage of the issues were due to infrastructure and upgrading/updating the devices and network helped to solve them. However there have been a fare number of software related issues most of which have been addressed with updates.

Unfortunately, I think this is par for the course when dealing with complex programming and the vast variations in systems (and design decisions of the end user devices) that need to be accommodated (not to mention the desires of the end user). There is no possible way to test every single combination of devices and users requirements. Can only minimize the impact of these issues as much as resources and time allow. Also, you have to decide which features to implement and when not knowing if the new feature adversely affects existing features all while trying to make the highest percentage of the users happy. You will never make everyone happy. There will always be someone to complain indignantly that you donā€™t care about them and you need to do better.

I think whatā€™s happening in your case is that you donā€™t have any content in your library from the individual members of the Sinfonia - so you donā€™t get that component appearing on the page at all. Iā€™ve got works in my library where Michael Cox and Thomas Gould are listed as performers, so they appear on my page.

I can confirm. I have five members listed, all of whom make appearances on other albums in my library.

Not my experience at all. Core on on a machine with enough horsepower and memory with direct access to local files and Tidal. No problems operating Roon whatsoever. Rare missing artist images are the only issue.

3 Likes

Itā€™s been very Solid for me. Never have issues with Roon. I have had a few network issues tho over the past couple years. Itā€™s normally just my internet provider

luved roon before the 1.8 update,since then itā€™s been downhill /even when it fixes something it will break something new,huge amount of stutter and lag on the new iPhones

Occassionally I have issues where I canā€™t get Roon to play anything. I have Qobuz and Tidal, and two groups I typically use. Iā€™ll reboot Roon on all devices, reboot all the speakers and streamer, to no avail.

One solution that typically solves most loading or playback issues: Restart the wifi Router.

For some reason that seems to solve any immediate issues, especially if Roon has been on for a few days.

Note: I use an older 2016 15" Macbook Pro for the Roon Core on an Orbi Wifi mesh.

Question: I was always curious if folks run into less issues with the Roon Nucleus tapped directly into ethernet?

It is highly recommended to have the core connected by ethernet to your router (or switch) - endpoint(s) too if possible. Not sure that Nucleus is any more robust/reliable than other endpoints - I use a 2018 Mac mini as the core connected with ethernet to a high quality router (endpoint also wired) and never have any issues at all. Many people do run perfectly well on all wi-fi, but you almost certainly need a high quality robust wi-fi set up.

2 Likes

I wonder if itā€™s partly just the desktop iMac Roon remote that is acting up? I mostly only access Roon from my computers. On my office computer it seems that the Roon remote is stalling out my computer and making the whole thing run slow. When I go to shut down either of my iMacs it will usually say Roon interrupted shut down or something similar. Lots of spinning beach balls happening too. Iā€™m using brand new computers pretty much and they work smooth with other apps so I donā€™t think itā€™s the computers that are the problem. It seems like whenever Roon updates things will work pretty good for a while then go back eventually to some glitchy behavior. Itā€™s good to hear that most others are getting smooth operations out of Roon. I donā€™t use it that much but am a lifer with it and would like to see it operating smoother. I do have a lot of end points and a lot of albums too so not sure if that can be contributing.

I completely sympathize with you. Too bad it is part of the game. I have been using it since its inception and not come across an alternative yet. To minimize issues, dedicated machine, no wifi and perhaps regular reboot if you have not been doing them already.

I ditched my mac minis for windows and no more beach balls. currently on rock.

I see the same bug here.

Iā€™m about 80% physical media, LPs and CDs so itā€™s pretty easy to just say Fudge it and play records or CDs when itā€™s being a little biatch

2 Likes

Must be your implementation. I have been running roon non stop on a nuc for 3 years without a single hiccup. Not so with the mac mini before though.

1 Like

ā€¦and me too, scheduled to reboot core (Win11 pc) every night at 2am & I rarely have problems.
When I do have minor problems itā€™s usually caused by the network having a hiccup.

1 Like

Roon runs at least 6 hours a day in my house and is used by everyone from me down to my 9 year old. No issues whatsoever with Roon. Iā€™ll occasionally have a network error that causes me to crawl through the attic running another cat6 cable to allow for a hardwire, but thatā€™s not Roons fault!

2 years ago, I bought two refurbished 27ā€ Elo touchscreen machines and loaded them with Roon. I hung one in each living room and havenā€™t had a single issue.

1 Like