Is it necessary is to hardwire to network when streaming hires?

I think so , do you cook in a microwave, or have cordless phones

We have a microwave but donā€™t use it very often. We have four cordless phones. One of them is very close to one of my coresā€¦ No issues at all. I live in a detached house in a rural areaā€¦

We have lots of concrete walls , and close neighbours. I had the 18:00 dropout syndrome ss everybody came home. I am retired so during the day little interference in the evening dropouts galore

1 Like

I forgot to mention yesterday that my router is in the same room as my audio system and my core, or my Apple MacBook Pro. With 5.0/350 service, and the close signal proximity, I have never experienced any WiFi dropout controlling my system with my core over WiFi. However, Iā€™ll probably just wire my core as suggested and control with a Apple iPad over WiFi for best results. Thanks. Ted.

When using using my MacBook Pro core, wired, with one of my iPads running Roon Remote over WiFi, it works. However, my stream graphic shows the MQA hires file as being reduced from 178 MQA Studio (sourced from Tidal) to 44/16 over Apple Airplay. When using my MacBook Pro core either over WiFi or wired over Ethernet, I never experience any limiting of my stream. Is my core signal being limited by my wireless endpoint iPad using AirPlay, or am I just seeing the reduction of my CONTROL signal from my wireless iPad, while my Core is sending a full hires signal back to my network for playback (in spite of what my iPad is reporting)?

Airplay is limited to 44.1(or 48)/16. Use RAAT where you can on your devices (by installing Roon or Roon Bridge) and disable Airplay on the device in Roon.

By using ROON Remote on my iPad, along with my MacBook Pro core, I can disable AirPlay on my iPad, and it will operate with the native Roon program? Or, do I need to install something else? Thanks for your input!

Thatā€™s why it works, you have very little interference from neighbouring wifi. If your in a built up urban area then problems start as everyone is competing for the same airtime and channels. Itā€™s still doable if using 5gh but 2ghz is generally useless in high saturated area, it is for me in the burbs of London.

I think your misunderstanding how Roon works. What are you sending music to using Roon? Are you using the MacBook as an endpoint? What is it connected to is it a Roon Ready device? It sounds like its not and only supports airplay and thatā€™s what Roons using to send music. If so then you are out of luck for hires. To get hires you need to use Roons RAAT protocol or ChromeCast which the device your sending to must support.

I live in a decently populated suburb. I have my Nucleus connected into a Orbi satellite. No problems on HiRez. Having a CAT 6 line installed just to be on the safe side.

1 Like

Iā€™d say no, it isnā€™t. As you see here many people go with Ethernet for simplicity, reliability and so on. Hires sounds great both ways in my setup.

FWIW Not sure Iā€™d pass an AB but Iā€™d add better sound to the reasons for Ethernet :wink: My wifi environment is congested so Iā€™d speculate its the retransmit problem. At least that makes sense to me in my basic understanding of the digital signal chain.

Run Roon on your iPad. Go to Settings -> Audio
Your iPad should be at the top as ā€œThis iPadā€ or something similar. Enable it / Device Setup
Make sure ā€œPrivate Zoneā€ is ā€œnoā€. Name it something.

This will make your iPad show-up as a Roon Endpoint, using RAAT, from any remote. Configure the other bits as youā€™d like.

On any remote, select your iPad as your zone. Play something. Check the Signal Path. Share your signal path if youā€™re still having issue.

Well, thank you all again! I realized that when using my iPad for wireless remote control of my MacBook Pro core, that I had not selected the Esoteric N-01 zone. When I do, I can control with my iPad and get full audio quality. Without doing so, I was using the iPad to process the signal. The iPad was using AirPlay, as it naturally will, which limited me (and everyone elseā€¦) to 44/16 audio quality.
I did also select NO private zone in the Roon iPad device setup, and my device shows up, name and all, as it should, in zone options.
Iā€™m ready to listen to some quality hires now!
Ted.

Similar set up here. Hardwired core and QNAP. Wireless endpoint. No problems. Must be a Texas thing (Iā€™m near Austin).

Itā€™s worth noting that the endpoint makes a difference in how well a wireless configuration works. Late last year I upgraded my endpoint from a Bluesound Node2 to a Moon Mind2. Had installed a wireless network extender a couple of years ago due to signal drop outs with the Node2. A recent analysis showed that while the the extender provided a better signal, it was lowering throughput in my audio room. Removed the extender and gained a minor improvement in performance without any dropouts with the Mind2. Obviously the Mind2 can pull in a WiFi signal better than the Node2.

1 Like

When I first discovered and wrote about Eero, I said extenders are of the devil.
Eero forms a mesh, you can add as many nodes as you want and they take care of things automatically, it has no configuration UI. It just works.

Itā€™s not inexpensive, but compared to what I have spent on various WiFi products over the years, and the hours spent futzing and troubleshooting, itā€™s a bargain.

Iā€™ve looked at mesh networks and they do look interesting. But at this point Iā€™m watching and waiting for the technology to crest the bell curve technologically and cost-wise.

Thanks for bringing it up!

Iā€™ve been using a Orbi mesh with my Nucleus for the past few weeks. Zero problems. Even streaming 192/24. No drops.

1 Like

Yes.

Some folks, who are using wifi and claim no issue, are just lucky. Some days they ā€œwillā€ come across the stuttering issues, one way or another,

Or these folks understand Wifi networks and have built-out their network to support the applications for which they intended to use the network for.

How? If you have a mesh wifi, all you need is plug your wifi devices and turn them on.