Is it necessary is to hardwire to network when streaming hires?

Since you mention “mesh” specifically. The goal of a “mesh” Wifi network is range. Using a mesh network gets you range by sacrificing overall network bandwidth and density. Both of which need to be understood, and tuned, in order for any real time application (like audio) to be used successfully (read, reliably) on said network. Now, in most households the mesh stuff from Google and Netgear (Orbi) is so good it is able to auto-tune itself and “just work” for all applications. It doesn’t take any understanding of the underlying technology to make it work reliably 99% of the time. That’s pretty impressive for a consumer product but it doesn’t mean that out of the box, or the underlying “mesh” technology as a whole, is the perfect fit for an application like Roon.

But, honestly, I was just jabbing you a bit about your comment “are just lucky”. I disagree with this. The fact a network, wired or otherwise, works is not “luck” when you do this as a profession. No one is paying me to “be lucky”. No one should believe that Orbi works is “luck”. I also think more and more people are investing in their Wifi networks, doing the research, understanding what they are setting up, and taking the time to get it right. There is no reason why Wifi cannot be as reliable as wired if you take the time, and investment, to set it up right (other than rare areas of true RF saturation). It does take more planning than wired though. And, besides the debate over noise / galvanic isolation / etc., if an individual does not want to take the extra time to understand the set-up of wifi then a wired network will give them better reliably with the same or better sound quality out of the box. That’s generally why wired is preferred.

What I did to make the Orbi more stable was to turn off the wireless on the FIOS router and put the Orbi in AP mode. Very stable results. However, I found someone to hardwire my Nucleus into the router. I was more concerned that more and more families seem to be getting Orbi’s/other mesh systems that might clog up the existing channels.

1 Like

Without a doubt, that is correct a substantial proportion of the time. But from what I’ve seen on support, the worst messes to fix come via ‘network professionals’. They also tend to eat the largest serving of crow after bitching out Roon for their lousy software which must be the problem because they ‘do this for a living’.
I know you’ll agree that for us mortals, simple is best. Get fancy at your own peril.

1 Like

Absolutely. (and wired is a ton simpler than wireless)

This is sort of the opposite of survivorship bias. You never encounter the network professionals whose networks and Roon installs are working perfectly because they don’t post problems to the support forum.

1 Like

I am using the term “lucky” in the casual sense. :slight_smile:

Let’s me tell you my own experience - I have 2 streamers - A Linn Klimax DSM/3 and a Slim device Transporter, my WFI is on the Orbi mesh with 3 satellites, strong WIFI signal throughout the house with ~500 mps.

The logitech transporter is connected by wire to one of the satellites, and never seen any stuttering or drop-off issues for the last 2 (maybe 3) years since I’ve had the Orbi mesh system.

The Linn Klimax DSM, 23 times more expensive than the logitech transporter, initially setup exactly in the same way as the transporter, encountered the stuttering issues now and then, especially at night. So I was forced to use an Ethernet cable connected to my Cisco switch - problem solved!

I went with an Eero mesh and what I like most about it is that there is no management or tuning UI. It just works. I think that should be the goal of any maturing technology, networking has been the worst and it is finally maturing.

There was a time when touring the countryside in a car involved having a ride-along mechanic. And then later, cars had a spark advance lever that you had to adjust as you put in more gas. And then later they had manual choke. And a manual transmission.

And there was a time when cars had a starter button or key, you had to turn it on before you drove off. Now, in a Tesla, it is on when you get in, you just drive off.

It isn’t that i can’t set up a network, or adjust the ignition or the choke, or double declutch when downshifting. But I don’t want to. Ok, shifting well is kinda fun. But tuning a network is not.

Do I have to? Do I have to hire a pro? With the Eero, no.

(I did have stuttering recently. It was in my music room, where my Nucleus and Meridian are all wired. Go figure.)

2 Likes

Get the eero secure too. Well worth having. I have a six pod eero system. Great product.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.