Is it safe to update to 2.0.17?

I received a Nucleus Plus about a week ago, and I get frequent requests to update (Every time I restart my i-Pad). The last time I updated, my Nucleus Plus turned into a brick! I don’t want to make that mistake again. So, can anyone report on any issues with the new upgrade?

If updating to 2.0.17 (or any update) bricked the Nucleus regularly, the forum would be burning.

The only other instance I see from you with update issues on a Nucleus is this topic which led to a remote not connecting to the outdated default software version on the Nucleus which apparently was fixed by rebooting the Nucleus:

Have you experienced an actual bricking of the Nucleus by an update that is not represented on the forum?

1 Like

I don’t recall the version number–maybe 1.8? So, yes, that is represented here. (I think my other issues were under the screen name Guitar1.)

Ah, so a long time ago. If under a different user name, I couldn’t find it :slight_smile: Anyway, there haven’t been any reports on the forum that I recall (and I read a lot) with 2.0.17 or another recent update that lead to systematic issues. I would say it’s as safe as can be

OK, thank you.

1 Like

The whole idea of the Nucleus / NUC-ROCK concept is that its a self updating appliance.

If auto update was a general issue this forum would tell you as @Suedkiez says

Just relax and let Roon do its magic. I have let Roon self update for over 6 years without an issue .

Rebooting is a good cure

1 Like

It isn’t automatically updating–I get a popup that tells me one is available. Rebooting didn’t help when when it froze while updating from 1.8 to 2.0. Since everything works I’m still hesitant to try it. Would I eventually reach a point that I could no longer update?

Mike meant that you can change it to automatically update. Settings > About > (Gearwheel) > Automatically install all updates.

If you want to, you don’t have to, but the point is many people do without issues. (I currently don’t have it because I am running Early Access test versions and want a bit more control, but when I used production versions I also had it to autoupdate and there was never an issue with that)

You are missing a lot of bugfixes and improvements as well. There are like 250K users out there who update every time.

Who knows. There is going to be some “rot” over time and Roon can’t be expected to continually test updates to the current version starting from, say, 50 different versions from 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 years ago.

Have you stopped updating your remote apps as well? Because if not, that’s also going to become an issue at some point, if you run current remote versions with an ancient Core

I always update to the latest version and have never had an issue. That’s with 3 cores plus 3 remotes.

EDIT: Going from 1.8 to 2.0 or 2.0 to 1.8 is different than just a normal Roon update.

I took a chance on the update and it worked! I don’t know what you guys were worried about. :grinning:

3 Likes

The first time you open a Roon Remote app after an update is posted you will see a pop up telling you a new build is available

Just select Update all nd sit back …

As I said, I did and it worked! The search feature definitely works better than in the version that shipped with my Nucleus Plus.

1 Like

lol… Exactly…

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.