Is it worth adding Tidal when I already have Qobuz?

I was replying to someone who was suggesting that there was a catalogue gap. I have yet to find albums that exist on Qobuz but don’t exist on Tidal.

Neil young has his full catalogue on Tidal.

I wonder why Neil kept his catalog on Tidal when he went into meltdown over the MQA controversy? If he were truly trying to make a statement, why not pull his catalog? Oh, I know, because he gets paid when his music is played! The almighty dollar trumps his anger?

If this were true, his music would be on Spotify. It’s not.

From what I understand about the Neil young situation, he was mad about the way that Tidal labelled MQA. Tidal suggests that MQA are the “Master” version of a given album. Neil hated that and pulled the MQA versions.

He still has his music on there because he doesn’t have any problem with it being labelled as “hifi” and he still considers it to be a higher quality service than Spotify.

I could be wrong though, just my reading of the situation.

2 Likes

Oysterband - Read the sky
Tomorrow’s Eve - Mirror of Creation 2: Genesis II

So yes, gaps exist. Whether they alone justify paying for a second streaming service with Tidal is something everyone has to decide for themselves. I use both services. But not because of the gaps (it would have been cheaper to buy the two albums), but to calm my guilty conscience.
I used to spend a lot of money on CDs. Considerably more than Tidal and Qobuz cost together. With the first use of a streaming service, the vicious circle began: I listened to music that I would never have bought, because my budget is also limited somewhere. And I learned to love it. It became increasingly difficult for me to return to buying CDs, because I couldn’t decide which of the many new releases I should buy - and which not. But of course it was clear to me that the artists would get more out of it if I didn’t just stream their music, but bought it.
So to give at least a little bit back to the artists, I pay for two services. And I only buy CDs in rare cases when I absolutely “need” them, but they’re not available on either Tidal or Qobuz.

I dove a subscription on Qobuz and in there Library you can find millions of albums. For me is that more then enough.
But if you find that’s not enough then take a subscription on Tidal and if you can find the time to listen to all the those albums be my guest. It’s all on yours.

Been waiting for some integration or even a glimmer of logic…. So strange!! Jack likes music is all i came up with!!

I recently upgraded my system from 3.2 to 5.2.2 to be able to enjoy ATMOS content, both video and audio. Luckily I can stream Tidal ATMOS from my TV to my ATMOS-enabled AVR. That makes keeping both services relevant for me. I tell myself that the Hi-Res content on Qobuz sounds “better” to me, but my system is under (well under) $10,000, so who knows? I am 67, I can afford the current costs, so will keep them both.