Is Roon ARC a game changer?

What do you have cellular streaming set to? I cannot get a consistent connection even with a strong
5G signal.

Original format. Maybe an issue with the upstream provider or resources of your core equipment?

I am running a Roon Nucleus as the Core and have no issues at home with it.I selected Bandwidth Optimized for the cellular data during my lunch break today and it maintained the connection for about 45 minutes. Will have to see how this works on the drive home this evening.

1 Like

Sorry, but Iā€™m skipping to here in this thread. I love ARC but you have to have another alternative when you have no signal. Iā€™m with @Jim_F on this. HDD/SSD/BluTooth is essential when you,re in the boonies and relying on your inverter to power your speakers. Having fun is the most important part of the experience.

You can download stuff within ARC precisely for this reason

1 Like

Yes, indeed, you can. But how much time do I have to do all of this. Iā€™m into traveling and I have hundreds of albums on the phone. If I have a signal great, if not, my fall back is ssd. Thank you. I agree with your statement.

Sure if you already have it all downloaded and donā€™t need the additional integration by ARC, itā€™s maybe not be worth the hassle. On the other hand, if ARC gets a bulk download option (hopefully soon) itā€™s not a lot of work

1 Like

Use ZeroTier and Tailscale for a long time. In my case, there is no need to enable Roon Arc and let the Roon Server expose to the internet.

Roon Arc uses a similar network architecture (e.g., Plex Media Server) to access your Roon Server from the internet. It glads to see the improvement of network accessibility; better than nothing.

I agree. Game changerā€¦that really improves the Roon experience! Yes, no need for streaming services unless you really want to discover new music and you can find a streaming service which actually does that.

I am very happy with Roon 2.0. I upgraded the data limit of my provider after testing it. It functions flawless. Now I hope for a CarPlay function following soon!

Is it a game changer? It is, it changed something

Before ARC, when I shop for CDs I canā€™t remember which ones I have and which I donā€™t. So just for browsing my collection alone is a big improvement.

Secondly, it is very nice to use on Cars, when you can just play your playlist while driving.

Would Apple Music do the same to me? Most likely, but there are rare things that are not on any streaming services. They are now always accessible.

I suppose there is a service to upload it to Apple, but it has always seem too complicated for me to try.

All in all, it is a logical and nice extension. If it can add more music services, it would then become the preferred front-end for all.

Roon ARC in the car via Bluetooth playing Roon Radio is very nice.

1 Like

I love it. Having so much music in my car and on my phone is so great.

I think having remote access to my core is a huge benefit.

But: the main use for me would be Roon in my car. But that will probably remain a fantasy. I am from Germany. Germany like to present itself very modern but truth is: many so-called third world countries have a better cellular service coverage than we do. It is not even possible to have a longer uninterrupted call on the German Autobahn. It will probably remain an illusion to really use Roon as an online player in the car even if you have an unlimited flatrate on your cell.

Of course that is not Roonā€˜s fault! But it still is the main variable why I canā€™t really tell yet, whether ARC will be a game changer for me.

2 Likes

I get everyone is chuffed, but game changer it aint. Plex has done this for literally a decade or more lol.

3 Likes

Sure but for the adoption of Roon it is a significant change and in my opinion a very good strategic decision.

Thatā€™s well put. It is a development for Roon for sure.

1 Like

Itā€™s certainly not a game changer for me. Iā€™ve spent hours trying to configure my modem for port forwarding and it simply will not work. I like to think Iā€™m fairly tech savvy, but this amount of work to try and get the app working is hugely frustrating.

Also, if Iā€™m out and about I just stream whatever I want to listen to on Qobuz or Tidal - for me, ARC is completely pointless.

1 Like

Iā€™m willing to help you. To understand what youā€™ve tried so far could you explain you network setup, equipment make/model and ISP.

Most of the time itā€™s a simple thing. Or CGNAT issue

1 Like

Yes, except that is the issue that @Suedkiez encounters.