Is Roon compatible with remotes with buttons?

works for me too.

When I fired up the projector hanging off the appleTV and hovered over either the the ‘Music’ or ‘Computers’ choice, the album cover of the currently playing roon track is displayed at the top of the screen as a selectable thing. drill down into it with the remote, and next/play/pause buttons work (with the delays you mentioned).

Thanks for the extra clarification!

Do I have to wait for someone to do something with the API to allow this or is there an immediate solution in 1.3 now?

Is it possible to use a Griffin Powermate with Roon on a PC?

1 Like

it is, but the extension is still quite DIY.

If this URL’s contents makes sense to you, then take a stab at it – if not, you will have to wait until this becomes more turn-key.

It is my understanding that the NUC5i3RYK comes with IR hardware. Would be nice to use it on that ROCK machine…

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Using the USB Griffin Knob with Roon

Is a turn-key solution still in the works?

we ran into a big problem with this, but last week we found a potential solution. need to put this back on the todo list

3 Likes

@danny
Hello
Ive been running the extension on one roon rpi bridge and it works fine

Do you know what happens if multiple instances of the node are running on separate hardware? Is it a thing or is just one node possible.

From my experiencein running 2 nodes they compete with each other for control and ultimately the result is Random unreliability.

So at the moment i am running just one node.

What are your suggestions for running multiple nodss. It would be nice to have multiple powermates for different rooms

Thank you

Luigi,

Define “node”. Do you mean Roon Core?

Are you using the pairing API?

By multiple nodes i mean separate Rpi’s in dfferent rooms each running the powermate extension node js app installed as per the github instructions.
They are also running the roon bridge, But I have noticed that, it is not necessary.
I hope this is clear, Any ideas?
L.

do you want them each control a zone or them to both control the same zone?

if the same zone, then do you really need them to work at the same time?

Ideally different zones (the zone the powemate is located in)

they compete with each other in what regard? if you are using them for different zones, then how do they compete?

For testing purposes I have only one power mate. When I run the extension on two different bridges , only one of which has a power mate attached and you check on the extensions page of the settings tab (of the roon app), you can see that the extension status alternanates between . 1 powermate found and no powermate found. When it is in the not found status, even the connected powermate will not function.
Hope this is clear. Maybe I need to buy another powermate to test , but at 45 euros , they’re not cheap!!

@danny Wanted to thank you for the Griffin Powermate extension. It is unfortunate that the Powermate is no longer in production, I managed to track one down that does not cost an arm and a leg. Got it running on Win 10 (Roon remote) as a service using node-windows, now I can control my Core running on audio Linux and also use Griffin to control control local apps.

Any word on this, or on any way to control playback using a remote with buttons (other than particular Roon Ready endpoints)?

I’ll be happy with something simpler (I’m sure this has been asked elsewhere). I use a MacMini as Core and the endpoint. It would be real nice if the Roon endpoint would respond to the MacMini IR remote. Play, pause, next track, previous track. Thats all I’m requesting! This is the only feature I miss after moving from Audirvana to Roon.

I am surprised you can’t get it working. I used a Flirc usb dongle to do that with my MacBook. Problem is it needs Roon to be the active program and for the screen to not have gone to sleep. Should be easier for a Mac Mini that is on all the time though.

https://flirc.tv/more/flirc-usb

Audirvana supports this using the Mac mini’s built-in IR receiver and the Apple IR remote. I wasn’t aware of the Flirc dongle, will look into it.