Is Roon slowly “dying”?

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: What happens with the lifetime subscribers if the company folds or is sold?

I find it works absolutely fine. Why change just for the sake of change and then start screwing things up, like Apple does.

If it ain’t broke - don’t fix it!

6 Likes

I never it was broken - just looking a bit tired after 4.5 years of use for me and maybe other long time users.

I don’t like change just for the sake of change. I get tired of apps being updated that don’t add any functionality, just move stuff around and make it look different. It’s a whole new learning experience for no reason except to justify some programmer’s job.

6 Likes

Roon has improved noticeably in the last two years. Roon does not “look” tired to me. I expect the product to evolve over time, not completely change. As far as I can see, that is exactly what Roon is doing: evolving.

7 Likes

I am an early adopter of Roon. I did the one year trial and after that bought a lifetime membership, it has no real competition.Used and lost too much Hidef music with iTunes. Amarra, Pure Music and JRiver didn’t quite do it for me. Roon has been stable and is miles ahead.

I used a mac mini for years with roon running headless but now an intel nuc is showing just how good/stable roon can be. It even sounds better which i can’t quite wrap my head around. I demoed my nuc and dac in friends house recently - he’s switching from a system triple the cost( i won’t name it) because of the apparent improvement in audio quality not to mention the ease of use with the interface.

I don’t like Roon, no, I love it! Don’t ever change!

3 Likes

I finally picked up an iPad mini for playing roon. It makes roon seem like a new product compared to using mostly with an iPhone. I can now use the focus features and bookmarks. I’ve used control roon directly on a Mac when I first got it, so I’ve used all these features in the past but nice to use again. I was hoping the upgrade wouldn’t be released yet just so I could compare to what the current version is like.

I still look forward to an update. I’m fine with the UI but think the discovery section needs an overhaul. Maybe something similar to Qobuz with info about new releases and must haves for different types of music. Info about music not in current library but should have based on listening preferences.

Also hoping they finally release a true mobile solution. Access to my home library and streaming services from anywhere.

My predictions have all been wrong but think November is finally when we’ll see the big release. They already said they don’t want to release around Christmas due to light staffing dealing with upgrade issues. So November release would allow them to work out any major bugs before the holidays.

I agree, I have a feeling yesterday’s outage was likely part of the process to get there.

10cc shout out.

3 Likes

yes, bring back the pawmasher

3 Likes

Ive hated Sony ever since they refused to replace my laptop battery that failed in 1 year and one week.

Yes the warranty was 1 year but Apple and others would have take care of it.

I even sent it to the Sony Executive Action Committee as an appeal and they refused to replace the battery.

I haven’t bought an Sony product since and that happened over a decade ago.

Microsoft replaced my Surface Pro 4 after 3 years at no cost to me.

1 Like

No surprise to me. Sony was lost a lot of business due to business practices like I had with them.

Loved the Paw Masher but not sure it’s place now…

1 Like

What was that?

The original UI interface to play an album/track/artists etc… Was retired for the current play UI system. I probably have a screen shot somewhere.

1 Like

It was an action screen that came up after you hit Play, asking you what you wanted to do (play now, add to queue etc). It was replaced with the ability to select the default action when you hit Play in settings, and the small drop down beside the Play button that offered the same options:

3 Likes

I have a Devialet 220 Pro and it works great with Roon. Personally, I have had issues with the Ethernet connection to the Devialet (see this thread) so I use WiFi and it works just fine, with agreeable SQ.

1 Like

I just listened to a few minutes of Apple Music, Amazon HD, and Tidal streaming through my Apple TV 4K. That’s enough to reinforce the value of Roon, at least for those of us who don’t own a high resolution streaming device.

1 Like

Didn’t know there was a specific exit plan. Wonder what the timescale is. As a lifetime member, the longer till exit the better! Can I suggest you obtain exit advice from the British Parliament? :laughing:

9 Likes