Is Roon slowly “dying”?

Hooray, excuse my Post-Halloween outcry; It’s alive!!!

After the silence and no bugfix updates as for the problem mentioned that is now fixed in next release. Bugfixes every few months plus communication would have been the better way.
I am rather worried that there will be a huge disappointed crowd venting frustration, since we all expect something truly great now. Hope you will deliver, but truthfully I doubt it. I would gladly be wrong.

1 Like

You must have missed all the iPhone 11 and macos Catalina hoohaa then?

No since I have the 11 Pro and was the guy who pointed out the problem, I have not missed that.
But there were many months before „applegate“ that were quiet and bugs in Roon just happily bugged along, problems with the interface just stayed there nearly shouting „live with It”

As has been written many times before, it depends on your usage scenario as to how many problems you have to deal with. The happiest people are nonclassical online streaming users. Classical library users seem to be the unhappiest.

This one isn’t.

Good for you.

Big trouble with the world today is that everything is absolute ,you either love something and everyone who sees a problem is delusional or you hate something and it is the same just the other way round.
But life is a Little Bit more Complicated. I love Roon And put of a lot of work into grooming my library, But there are moments when it really frustrates me. I am not alone on this. I remember the time when 1.6 came out and many of my covers suddenly vanished or changed. In the beginning I felt like a village idiot since there were so many users saying oh well I have no problem . But there was a problem and it was fixed.

This constant battle of , you are either on our side or against us is silly. There are problems and there are quite many things that Roon could improve, so if there is someone out there who is 100% happy and doesn’t need any more updates then enjoy your selves, count yourself lucky but don’t give people who write about problems the feeling they are making up problems

7 Likes

Dear lord - I was just trying to say that I’m happy with how my life with Roon is going. It’s not a battle between us?

3 Likes

No, sorry if it came across like that. Was not meant that way. More general, not about you.

PS: just yesterday I felt like throwing my nuc out of the window, since adding / editing albums took forever. One of these restart me, or I will drive you crazy scenarios which happens constantly…

1 Like

Oh, I think you can bet on that! Given past behavior…

1 Like

On your Android devices, when it cannot connect, have you tried clicking the specify IP for the server, and then use 255.255.255.255.

This one is.

1 Like

Yes, tried it allready, doesn’t help

Second.

255.255.255.255 no longer works.

I worked for me a couple of times but for the last month+ it will not connect.

Perhaps fixing this might be on some future roadmap.

I’m fast approaching my Three Score Year And Ten

Should I upgrade to lifetime , Risky :mask:

1 Like

I’m almost 3 score and 12 and was given 7 years to live by my oncologist 14 years ago. I should probably pay by the year, or the month if they ever add a monthly plan.

4 Likes

Already done it, 1 more year and I’ll be in profit :pray:t4::grin:

Never bet against yourself! Go for it.

Lifetime since the first year of roon, so I am safe. Having used a lot of programs during the last 20 years I am more than happy with what is provided by roon. There are some rough edges for sure, but these are outweighed by the benefits.

One problem I fought with for quite some time was intermittent server overload which led to interruptions in music delivery. Turns out it was an email archiving program that took 90 percent of CPU every five or six minutes. After limiting this to one kernel via process lasso everything is fine.

I use several android and windows devices to control roon. Only thing I really dislike is that recent albums on android phones is limited to two or three pages insted of infinite scrolling as is the case with android tablets or windows clients. Don’t understand the reasoning behind that, but this is not a killer.

1 Like

It’s the same with iPhones. I don’t understand the reasoning either.

That’s because you need to keep eyes on the road, not on the phone! :innocent:

I would be happy as a clam with the announced “dislike” option in Roon Radio working. That and more diversified nodes for the algorithm to wander off into would make it actually what it is supposed to be.

Add to that a functional, accurate and fast search and I’d be on cloud nine. I live and hope but I’ve stopped crossing my fingers. All that did was give me arthritis :rofl:

1 Like