Is Roon slowly “dying”?

You realize that you just said: if Roon dev cannot spell out what it meansa “clean”, “sorted out” orwhatever network, all this stuff is just a full bunch of excuses for the code, Roon Remote for Android in this case, that is unstable and flaky.

1 Like

The chances are that you’ve got loads of crap connected to your network, and you’ve also got a SLOW network.
Invest where it counts, and Roon will deliver. EVERY time.
Otherwise, go and find yourself something that suits you more. Foobar2000??

2 Likes

I use the roon nucleus with the Devialet , so far it works great

1 Like

The chances are…I like strong technical arguments. Relax, it is just digital audio…

Oh great. Now I’m expecting Roon to put its makeup on and fix its hair up pretty…

1 Like

It is just digital audio but there are some aspects of Roon that are taxing for a network, especially wifi. Which is what @Martin_Kelly is referring to I think.

The Core downloads compressed audio data over its LAN/WLAN connection (in the case of network hosted storage or TIDAL/Qobuz) and then it decompresses it, applies any DSP etc and then shunts it out over the same LAN/WLAN connection at the same time to the networked end points. If the Core connection is wifi that is a problem due to the lack of full duplex.

The data from the core to the end point is uncompressed audio so it has higher bandwidth requirements and this will tax a network link more than other audio distribution methods. So even a cabled Core could still have issues reaching a wifi end point if the wifi is at all unstable.

2 Likes

We’re all still here, so we must find some reason to believe…

2 Likes

Well that’s a bit of a simplistic conclusion. I have a very stable mesh network consisting of three Asus RT-AC88U routers and everything I do works 100% stable except for…Roon and Android devices. Even with the Roon core connected directly to one router with nothing else conected to the network Android just isn’t stable. Sometimes it connects, most of times it doesn’t, and if it connects it is most of the time no longer then 15 minutes. And this is with local playback from internal SSD to a directly to the core connected USB DAC, so no network audio at all. Only a router with one android device connected, that’s it. No go, it simply doesn’t work. I have tried three different core computers, several different network configurations and three different kind of routers and tried every possible settings on them. Everything works as expected and is fast as lightning except for …Roon and Android devices. I have four Android devices, none of them are able to get a stable connection to my Roon core. All othere devices work all the time, no problems. I have totally given up on Roon on Android.

It does seem to be very random and hard to pin down why it does or doesn’t work. Even my crappy old Android DAPs and Android phones, as well as my new Android 9 and 10 devices all work instantly.
However, sometimes my iPad won’t connect.
What does that mean? Absolutely no idea.

Agree with all your comments and explanation, but I had never had any issues with Roon network performance. Streaming and connectivity to endpoints is flawless. Maybe my post was not clear in this aspect
All of the above goes through the wired connection, and even when I used wi-fi for some endpoints (RPi3) I had no issues. The core runs on 16GB i7 PC and is stable, endpoints are discovered the moment they pop up on the network all is good. The only sore point is, and has always been , the Roon remote on Android.
And if you read @Martin_Kelly comments, they are not referring to anything :slight_smile:

I had the same experience with iOS devices, added mesh and 90% reduction in connection issues. Happier Days :slightly_smiling_face:

True, no surrender. And heck, there’s still hope Roon’ll be growin’ up.

But some people seem to worry that Roon’s a town full of losers and are pulling out of here to win.

1 Like

Because I spend so much time using Roon to listen to music, and because while I’m doing that I’m immersed in the UI, I’m sometimes unfairly focused on some of the design and interface shortcomings (coupled with a perceived slow rate of change to address them). This morning, however, I was absolutely marveling at the complex and seamless architecture that Roon provides for the purpose of accessing and playing an integrated streaming and file structure to multiple devices in multiple ways. It is simply astonishing and worth every penny of the lifetime membership. In short, there is nothing else like it, and I mightily hope it is not (and suspect it is not) dying.

8 Likes

Another theory: Roon is in the middle of an acquisition, which would explain the relative quiet.

2 Likes

Conspiracy Theory that should start the hares running

Maybe they’re all working on the product itself, rather than reading, and responding to a lot of the tosh and irrelevance that is posted on this forum!? :poop:

6 Likes

I use two android devices for Roon all the time and never have any connection issues. I used to when I used my old Netgear r8000 for wireless and often it woud get stuck with the connecting. Since changing to separate Ubiquiti endpoints always connects without any issues. Only issues in Android for me are the app deciding to close when it’s in the background and no way round system audio.

1 Like

@Speed_Racer BluOS has already struck a deal to integrate with Amazon Music HD. Roon needs to catch up.

https://bluos.net/2019/09/bluos-among-first-to-integrate-amazon-music-hd/

1 Like

Hopefully this is a good sign that it will eventually come to roon. Everyone still needs to let Amazon know we want roon integration.