Is Roon slowly “dying”?

We only die once, but we live all the other days…

3 Likes

I would rather run a CAT6 cable, but it would have to go through 3 walls and across/around 3 rooms, including across one wall of the living room, and whist technically trivial, the Boss considers aesthetically unacceptable, even in trunking…

1 Like

If you want to kill Roon keep posting threads about its early demise and you might just get your wish.

4 Likes

Actually room seems to have some unique requirements that mean that sometimes it is the only thing not working properly. Which is a real pain for quite a few users as it’s bloody hard to track down and diagnose, unfortunately.

2 Likes

I have an exceptionally good Boss, she even clambered through my roof space and fed all the Cat6 wires down the holes I made.

No she is not available . . .

2 Likes

As has already been said by Ged, sometimes Roon is the only thing on a network that might not work perfectly. This isn’t a ‘fault’ in Roon, it’s just that Roon requires a very ‘clean’ network to work properly, and is probably less forgiving than other devices on your network.
However, get your network sorted, and Roon just works perfectly.

1 Like

As Bob Stuart has said MQA (and now Roon) is forcing people to clean their (network) pipes.

I put streaming into the v26 feature list, it wasn’t immediately deleted, maybe JimH is softening in the light of Amazon, his contention is that streaming services are all financially broke, I don’t see that including Amazon

3 Likes

Am a very happy Roon user, but I could take my Roon core off-grid perhaps, and feed it the same juice as my oil-fired Aga :thinking: for full galvanic isolation!
The pies from my aga are delicious so am thinking of … :pie: dietpi!

1 Like

I am interested in the Devialet but could not make sure it will support Roon - and how it will do that.
Is there a Roon ready streaming interface? Is it working over LAN or WLAN? Thank you for any pointer…

I was thinking and hoping the same thing, given their argument for not including streaming services.

It seems to me they have to, or risk being sidelined as listening habits shift. I spend more time streaming than listening to my own library these days.

I could not disagree more. Roon supports so many protocols (raat, airplay, linn, meridian, …) it is just a mess to understand how to setup things. Roon is supposed to be simple. I cannot explain my wife why she can combine these two devices but not with that other.

This is not great user experience.

• Remove all the trash from Roon, support Raat only. Force vendors to properly implement Raat! Force vendors to do more QA (thinking of Bluesound for instance - sooo buggy)
  • UPnP is a mess - total mess to index. I would hate to see this in the Roon codebase
  • work on small UI/UX enhancements. I dont need Roon 2.0. But I would like portrait mode on iPad, lockscreen controls, a more well designed single click way to join devices in multiroom, etc.

Just my 2c

is it possible to not pollute every thread with MQA advertising?

8 Likes

Could not agree more.
But I think it would be very difficult :joy:

1 Like

For goodness sake, this is not advertising but a pertinent fact of what has been stated and very relevant to the understanding of having a good network to get the best out of Roon, and for that matter, MQA.

I thought one of the supposed (advertised) benefits of MQA was smaller file size. Normal 24/192 would require more bandwidth…

That’s true, but if your network or set up loses resolution, MQA won’t authenticate.

Trouble is - through all the silence and the relatively long wait - plus problems that have been with releases for a long time (usually called bugs), the anticipation when a new software will finally be released will most probably end in disappointment. Because now everyone is thinking - oh they will have killed my Pet-Bug and will present my wished new feature, this will not happen.

So Roon will have to get ready for a rough ride, once they actually do release something.

Hope I am wrong!!! Yet with better / more communication they could have steered the expectations in the right direction. Let’s wait and see…

3 Likes

Wonder if they are working on the plumbing, like refreshing all the runtime libraries and stuff. That can be harder and involve more rewrites and testing and stuff than new features sometimes.

Maybe the adverse reaction to the release of version 1.6 has made them more cautious. I think they were genuinely shocked at the level of negativity towards the new “now playing” interface and the chopped off heads saga.

I’d rather wait longer for a new version than have something that’s not ready rushed out.

2 Likes