Is Roon slowly “dying”?

Same here.

One thing that is in their control is just to add directory-based launching, as JRiver does. I’ve also found that it’s virtually useless for classical music, unless you’re streaming. But it seems they insist on using the current metadata/library oriented system, even though it just plain doesn’t work for anything except pop. As a result, I’ve been using Roon to stream Qobuz (their Windows app just doesn’t work), and sticking with JRiver for my own library.

I saw someone from roon say somewhere that it was against their philosophy. But if I want philosophy, I’ll read Plato or Kant. I just want to be able to play my music library!

1 Like

I love Roon because it sounds so good and I can find my music on both my NAS and Tidal very easy. I don’t need more than that. Indeed, enjoy the music you like.

1 Like

I agree, its probably wireless thats his issue. I live in a faraday cage, bu thaat I mean a converted hal with a suspended ceiling on metal hangers.

No wireless is good in my house, so I ran cat 6 everywhere i needed it, voila, pefect music from Roon.

I wonder if a survey would highlite the fact that the majority if issues seem to be due to wireless connectivity?

1 Like

I do the same for big boxes where I can define how they are organized

I even have an alternative source for Tidal through my Cambridge Audio CXN

Roon’s case weakens , I am waiting to see if there is a box set solution in 1.7 when it comes

1 Like

:rofl: that’s funny :joy:

1 Like

I spilt my sides in anticipation :ghost:

Maybe the Roon Core is just stable, and it is. Yes I would like remote access, maybe, moving a portable SSD from one core to another is easy enough.
Oh and the remote on Android connection to core that has to be fixed because it sucks. It sucks on every Android phone I ever had, in two homes, two different network setups, it is just unreliable POS. Not a minor thing, but not enough for me to drop Roon. Unless there is some serious competition.

Just have some hope and patience, it will come.

Really? I have not had an issue with any android devices, and I’ve used Roon since 2015. Now, granted I only use Samsung Android devices, so, maybe that is a difference.

If you are still having issues, perhaps you should revisit your support thread?

Or, if you loose connection to the Core, choose to add the server IP address and use the following: 255.255.255.255.

In my experience Android problems are network related. I used to have connection problems , delays, core not found etc but going to a mesh wireless network has removed any problems. My phones and Android DAPs (which are on crappy old Android) all connect quickly every time.

2 Likes

It seems Roon is not for you since their “philosophy” does not match how you want it to be. You really want JRiver with a better UI.

2 Likes

I do use JRiver. My frustration is that they each have issues that could be fixed, and won’t. In Roon’s case, it’s the UI. In JRiver’s case, it’s their refusal to support streaming services like Tidal and Qobuz, which are an increasingly important listening source. (I also like the fact that Roon lets you use HQPlayer for output, although I suspect that’s important to far fewer people than the UI or streaming.)

So basically, right now, I’m using Roon for streaming, and JRiver for playing my own library. Which of course is a fairly absurd arrangement!

1 Like

I am using both, too. Therefore my streaming device has to be both capable of roon ready and UPnP DLNA like Naim or dCS or Lindemann or …

1 Like

It doesn´t look like Roon is dying, It seens that some people are just too anxious.
People got used with instagram and Twitter with continous updates on everything.
Just chill and enjoy the music.

5 Likes

Perhaps add powerline adapters, especially combined with old electrical wiring. (I plead guilty, but my sins are in the past)

Devolo Magic 2 powerline adaptors work well for me over 30 year young wiring…

Lucky man. I am taking note :wink: (meanwhile I am getting, generally more mileage out of wifi).

I am yet to blame the cob walls, or the thatch roof. Or my cat :stuck_out_tongue:

Everything dies baby, that’s a fact, but maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

4 Likes

Network related problems are usually not affecting only one service on the network, the remote to core connection is unique in this aspect. And I am glad that it may work for some but that only means it may have network topology dependency that the dev team does not fully understand.

1 Like