Is Roon slowly “dying”?

I started the thread but, don’t get me wrong, I love Roon and i really hope that the developers will make this a perfect software.
Would be nice to have a better browsing capability, possibility to see full discography of the artists and scheduled new releases, dynamic range option as the DR database website, adding/changing lyrics manually, lite web version to use directly from browser (something as Gizmo for jriver), probably a new restyling in the future with better "feeling’’ on tablet & phone, password protection for songs cancelation/modifications, concerts notification for our artist’s library (from last.fm or similar websites) based on location radius etc…

For sure we are on the right way with what we already have and what has been achieved so far. The reason why I started this topic is that I just noticed that everything slowed down in the last period… and i am really scared to look for other options in the future, starting everything from scratch and so on… specially nowadays when THEY are trying to push only for streaming services.

1 Like

I like the optimism in the features list!
One thing, are THEY :alien::space_invader: ?

1 Like

Yeah?
And there I was, simply hoping that a future release of Roon would make me a hot cup of coffee in the morning, and wipe my a*** before I go to bed…? :nerd_face:

Roon is digital only so wouldn’t be able to clean your LP before you retire. (BTW Album needs another asterisk)

:sunglasses::sound::loud_sound:

2 Likes

I think the lack of activity is because Roon is focusing on a complete mobile solution. We will see this perhaps end 2020. Otherwise there’ll be maintenance releases in the meantime. For my money, it’s a period of consolidation and then almost a rebirth on the mobile/desktop integration front.

Ahh, yes.
Cheers for pointing that out Ged :wink:

1 Like

:slight_smile: C’mon at the end I didn’t ask for the moon. I wrote a list of features that are surely possible to implement and deeply related with our love for music!

Possible to implement? Probably…
I just wouldn’t hold your breath for too long on that list? :wink:

Well I think the first concrete post of the new UI and mobile solution that I remember seeing was in the middle of 2017 then 2018 Roon UI overhaul

The mobile solution is becoming the roon equivalent of George RR Martin’s The Winds of Winter.

5 Likes

hehe… well… with 3 years of solid work, maybe, just maybe we will see something in 2020 :rofl:

ps… all joking aside, the stuff we’d all like to see on the smaller side of things, like proper box sets integration, better track editing, editable bios, etc, it’s all fluff. It’s not going to increase the coffers at Roon central specifically. If they can tap into the massive mobile market definitively with something highly inventive, then they could hit a huge market. Imho, this is why we are just not seeing much in the way of revisions.

1 Like

I was wrong it was 2016, though I think the design will have completely changed from then. More like Multi-location and mobile Roon usage

1 Like

Concert notification for Artists via Songkick is already implemented in Roon.

@andybob
Hy Andrew
Can you please ellobarate a bit, as I am not aware of this.
thanks
Dirk

Artist Performer screen.
Songkick Concert section is immediately below bio, before Top Tracks:

It certainly won’t appear for every artist, but look on the Artist page - the Songkick section appears at the top, immediately below the photo, if it exists. E.g. try Laurie Anderson, Elvis Costello, or Angela Gheorghui (if you like Romanian sopranos).

@andybob, @Geoff_Coupe

Thanks for the information. Never really looked at it, my mistake.
Dirk

There are many threads with feature lists, here is my list!

Agreed. I don’t care if you are leaving Roon blah blah blah. Roon is awesome!

4 Likes

Quite agree

1 Like

I’m perfectly happy with ROON as is. If Amazon HD Music ever gets integrated, that will be icing on the cake.

5 Likes