Is Roon slowly “dying”?

I have only a few hundred Classical albums in my library and I always sort them and look at them as albums. I don’t sort them or them based on the tracks. So I am not the person you need to persuade…

The editor was actually designed by the same team responsible for black ops torture regimes. Thankfully I have no real interest in correcting my metadata/weird album spillages so I only use it occasionally.

2 Likes

I also do not sort them by tracks.I think you misunderstood.
Scenario; Identify your album and then it shows tracks in wrong order, with about 10 empty tracks between, clearing that up literally means hundred clicks or more. Since you have to move every single track instead if many at the same time.
You obviously never had to deal with this you lucky guy. It is tedious

7 Likes

Agreed. When I suggested Amazon Music HD integration I realize it is likely more of a business challenge than a technical one. Roon should get on the phone with Amazon and try to figure it out. It’s a great fit. Roon is the purveyor of HD audio aggregation and Amazon has jumped into HD as a provider of a subscription to source material. BTW, I subscribe to Amazon HD Music and I have put in a suggestion to Amazon that they work with Roon to integrate. I told Amazon I am very bullish on Roon.

1 Like

See my other reply. I subscribe to Amazon Music HD and I did put in a suggestion via the Amazon Music App for Amazon to work with Roon on integration. Please make a request to Amazon as well.

Why is that a problem? Surely people should be able to organize their music however they want. It’s not difficult to make software that allows this. J River have done so for years. The problem isn’t “classical folks” it is arbitrarily restrictive software.

2 Likes

One day, 4.9999993 billion years in the future:

“Roon Labs is proud to announce that we have now enabled vertical scrolling…”

[poof]

:joy:

5 Likes

This is starting to look like MacRumors, come on. :roll_eyes:

This “arbitrarily restrictive software” is not JRiver on purpose. The decision to not look like JRiver is not arbitrary. I absolutely hate the JRiver interface and I am quite thankful that I have something like Roon instead. I am also glad I am not into micromanaging my Classical collection to the point that I need something like JRiver to manage it. I am so happy that the “artist/album” structure is good enough for me…

6 Likes

That parrot’s not dead. He’s pining for the fjords!

3 Likes

To quote Mark Twain: “The report of my death was an exaggeration.* I’m sure Roon will be saying the same. (Although there are many incorrect versions of the Twain quote floating around, this appears to be what he actually wrote.)

1 Like

Any problems I’ve had similar to these have been the fault of my network. Sometimes it has taken awhile to find the culprit(s), but it has never been Roon. I live in two countries and switch my Roon subscription from one to the other a few times a year. I realized that when Roon worked flawlessly in one location and not so well in the other that the problems must have been at my end. They were. Of course, the networks and the networking gear are substantially different in both locations (Brasil and Canada), so it involved a fair bit of experimenting and reconfiguration. As others have noted, Roon requires a robust, well-functioning network and flaws that go unnoticed with some other networking tasks are likely to pop up during Roon usage.

3 Likes

I was trying to help a roon user the other day and went over to the Auralic forum to do a bit of investigation.
The postings there said if you had an ISP router they in effect wouldn’t bother trying to do any support as the product wouldn’t work to the best of its abilities. I thought that was an “interesting” approach.

1 Like

I suppose I’ve just been ‘lucky’ with both my network functionality, and my superlative experience with Roon to date.
One could argue that I have everything I need to ensure Roon does work properly: Virgin 350Mbps fibre broadband/Virgin Media Hub 3 (in modem mode), an ASUS RT-N66U gigabit router, and a Nucleus/SSD & USB HDD & Qobuz Sublime+/iPad Pro 12.9” remote, all tied together with ‘bog-standard’ Belkin Cat6 UTP.
But it just works. It just hasn’t missed a beat.
I do have sympathy with those forum members who have problems with Roon, but I do wish they weren’t so quick to ‘point the finger’ at Roon. It’s probably, in the vast majority of cases, down to deficiencies, or incompatibilities in their networks.
Roon gets a lot of unjustified ‘bad press’ in this forum, IMO.

1 Like

How about DG releases with the composer tag EMPTY …

1 Like

Yes, that’s not good enough.
But as I have stated, it’s the metadata source/supplier that is letting the side down here, rather than Roon per se.
I presume that some poor sods somewhere are paid ‘fee per item’ to enter detailed metadata on, say Wagner’s Ring Cycle, with around two-hundred tracks, a work that they probably don’t understand in the first place.
It’s no wonder that classical metadata is a mess, especially for long, complex, highly-segmented works.

Jriver as MC is a maintenance interface, JRemote on the other hand is what you use to control what you listen

At leaSt JRIVER allows you to customise, say split off Classical from Rock, Jazz etc to ease navigation in a big collection

The 2 products play music , that’s where the comparison ends

I actively use both

4 Likes

Toon true, I use MUSICHI tagger where it can help but missing composer is unhelpful. …

1 Like

That’s a fair comment Scott.

I am not a quiet critic of Roon. I posted my first suggestion thread only a month or so after buying my full licence after trial.

I have also had more than a few problems. Some were Roon originated and some not.

Not only is Roon a superior sound and organisational music app than those I’ve tried (you know some of them looks like shit), but the support from the guys and girls is fantastic for a piece of software. That there even is a forum for feature suggestions and complaints is almost unheard of.

2 Likes